Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

my french door, freezer on the bottom refrig, model number

my french door, freezer on the bottom refrig, model number mff225vea0, is not cooling in the refrig compartment. the freezer is running and keeping everything frozen, but I can see frost on the back wall of the freezer, and on the door. How do I defrost it?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

Hello from our service,

My name is Chas, I am so happy to help you today.
Before we get started, I would like to help us get on the same page so that our interaction will go smoothly.
I might give you an answer immediately, or ask you a question. Either way, we are likely to be in a question and answer format, so you will need to click reply to expert if:
a. You want to add detail.
b. Your question was not fully answered.
c. You want to ask further questions.

Since I am inviting you back to do any of these, do not use a 1 or 2 rating or this will likely NOT help you get a satisfactory answer. It will delay our task, and it tends to be depressing for the expert trying to help you, often right at the beginning of the exchange, before we have accomplished our task.

I know the rating system is somewhat complicated, but you do not have to do a negative rating in order not to pay or to get your deposit back.

In addition, a negative rating only serves to rate the expert doing his/her utmost to help you. The expert also will not get paid under these circumstances.

Negative ratings do not cover site problems, delays, or anything else on the site that might annoy you, as experts are only involved in trying to answer your questions.

Negative ratings do not cover posts that do not come through, or any other difficulties...experts face those just as you do. This includes frustrations that you might have had before meeting your expert.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction. But, it is up to your honor to click a smiley face and make sure that I am compensated for my time and effort. Please realize we are only compensated PER smiley per click and from bonuses, so extensive time with you would hopefully stimulate your consideration of this aspect of the system.

Can you hear the fan running in the freezer when you open the freezer door?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes I can.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Is the entire back wall covered in ice or frost on the back wall of the freezer? Espeically near the bottom?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes it is.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Laurie,
I would like for you to put this unit into diagnostics, If I send you the tech sheet, do you think you can put it into diagnostics following it? I need to see if the defrost thermostat is still good?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yep! If not, I'll wake the hubby!

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Okay here it is, when you get it, print it out to make it easier and let me know when you are ready...

Click_here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I printed it, and I'm ready to go!

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Find where it says to put it into SERVICE TEST MODE, get to that point and let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

got it....proceed. do I have to close both of the door kight swirched closed? I pressed the temp up button 3 times but I am not getting the s and e in the control window

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
If you close the door it turns off diagnostics, you must keep on door opened on top to keep going, you have to hold the light switch closed with your finger when you press the button 3 times then release the light switch button, then SE should show up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

got it. now it says se.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Now do dervice test number #1 and see if it shows "O" ro "S" in the display?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it says 1 IN THE freezr but refrig is blank

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
press the freezer plus button once to activate it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

okay...now it says 1s

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
That means that the thermostat is good, however that mean your JAZZ Board is bad, It will need to be replaced, the JAZZ BOARD is the controls that we are using for the diagnostics. you can click on the blue link below to order it for your unit...

Click here for the correct part for your unit.

Repair Clinic offers a 365 day no question ask return policy, so if the repair does not work you can return the part to them for a full refund, yes this even includes electronic parts that many other part suppliers will not allow to be returned.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating. . .

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

is this something that we can replace ourselves? Is there an instruction sheet for it?

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Yes it comes with instructions, it takes me about 20 minutes to do, woth ordinary tool like a screwdiver and a nutdriver.

In the meantime, this short term repair will keep you going for about 2 weeks,

Take everything out of the freezer, turn off the unit at the wall, until everything defrosts in the freezer, this will take about 3 hours, that ice is over 3 inches thick behind the wall when you see any on the front like you do. Once thawed you can use your unit for up to 2 weeks until it happens again, so this gives you time to get the part for the repair..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

do I need to leave the freezer door open while it's defrosting?

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Yes you do
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

where will the water go as the ice melts? I assume I need some kind of drip pan to catch it?

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
There is a drip pan that it leaks into and when you turn on the unit again it will heat it and evaporate it out, you may want to lay one bath towel on the floor of the freezer to catch any stray drippings..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

okay....thanks a bunch! Going to start emptying the freezer now. Can I leave this open in case I have other questions?

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Even after rating me, you have up to 14 days to respond back, I will continue to help you at no extra costs until you are working again with your problem...

Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is there something that we could have done to prevent this? Or, does the failure of the jazz board just happen?

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
It is something that this unit is known for doing, the new board is suppose to keep it from happening again.. It has been updated from the original..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

okay....crossing my fingers that it does! Ordering the part today. Thanks so much for your help!

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

well, we received the part, and it has programming instructions, but no installation instructions. Can you send me those?

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
I will look it up, it will take me till probably tomorrow to get the video I believe the MFG has for this... check with me tomorrow for it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

were you able to find me an installation video or instructions?

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

we got the board and tried to install it, but the numbers did not light up on the control panel when we installed and then reinstalled it. any chance this was the wrong board for the above model number? or it was a bad board they sent us? I called repair clinic and they said that they have no record of this model number. help!

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Is the part number you received 12784415?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes it is.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
If you gave me the correct model number then this is the correct board for your fridge according to Maytag's website that I got the part number from. you may have gotten a bad board, It looked identical to the old one did it not?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the model number is mff2258vea0, and the new board looks just like the old one.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
I know you have the correct board, and I got this from Maytag itself, and just double checked it, did you make sure that you got all the connectors on tightly when you installed it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yep, we tried three times to install the board, thinking that we hadn't connected everything correctly, and got the same results. Another question.....repair clinic said that the board was on backorder, and that we wouldn't get a new one until after June 18th, which is when we'll be on vacation. If I defrost the freezer again just before we leave on vacation, do you think that we'll be okay until we get back and can replace the board? I'm just concerned that my refrig will stop cooling again, and we'll come home to rotten food!

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
I would say since the doors will not be opened during that time you are on vacation you will be okay..