MRANSWER
MRANSWER, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 YRS EXP. FACTORY TRAINED AND AUTHORIZED ON ALL MAJOR BRANDS
13971964

i have a subzero side by side that is leaking water on the

Customer Question

i have a subzero side by side that is leaking water on the freezer side any thoughts
when will i get a respnse
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Rob replied 3 years ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you with your problem today. If anything isn't clear, please just ask me.

Sorry for the delay in replying, I only just came on line and saw your question. Are you still looking for help with this?

Please don't rate my answer until we have explored all possible avenues. Please just use the reply button to contact me.

Is this actually a water leak or a build up of ice?
If the former and this has a water dispenser, turn off the water and see if this stops the leak and we can go from there. Can you also give me the full model number please?

Thanks
Rob
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It could be a buildup of ice that somehow that melts and then is released from the freezer. There is a slight amount of ice on the plastic lining of the freezer. It takes about 9 hours to build up and then dispenses about a cup of water. this unit does not have a water dispenser. the model is BI-48S/O

Expert:  Rob replied 3 years ago.
Hi Brian

Thanks for the information.
Unfortunately I cant find any technical details on this model number, so ill opt out while I continue to look.
This opens the question to others as well
If any of us find an answer for you, we will respond and you will get a message from the site.

In the meantime, please do not rate or respond to this message as this will lock your question

Thanks
Rob

Expert:  MRANSWER replied 3 years ago.

The defrost drain is probably blocked so the water from the defrost cycles has nowhere to go but on the freezer floor and then outside the unit. You will need to access the area behind the metal cover with the slots in it just below the icemaker to get to the drain under the coil and clear it. Clearing a drain is not rocket science- melt the visible ice and use some air pressure if needed to blow it clear if it does not drain after melting all the ice. Use whatever methods you want to melt the ice and DO NOT chip at it with anything sharp. Ice may be an inch or two below the floor level inside the drain line. Once water drains thru the hole the job is done and the problem is solved.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the answer

I see the ice drawer and two drawers below it

Do I remove these three drawers to get started

The area that you are speaking of has two phillips screws on each end holding it

Expert:  MRANSWER replied 3 years ago.
Remove whatever you need to here to make this easy for you as it will be quite obvious what is in the way and I did not want to make a lengthy explanation for a simple project.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry I am a novice and will need a more detailed explanation thanks

Expert:  MRANSWER replied 3 years ago.

Remove whatever is in the way of getting that panel off. Screws, baskets, etc- nothing is secret here or hidden which needs further detail as you are with the product and can easily view how it is assembled.