Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

We have a Whirlpool Duet Steam dryer that has been wonderful

We have a Whirlpool Duet Steam dryer that has been wonderful for a couple of years. Today, it won't start after pressing and holding the Start button. Unit has power, and I have tried several different modes, none work. In timed dry mode, set for 1:00 run time, an indicator saying SENSING is lit along with a lit bar above the WET label on the panel. Machine doesn't run, but timer counts down. Any ideas? Worked fine for a couple of loads earlier today.

J.C. Eason XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If the timer is counting down, this means that your thermal fuse has likely gone bad and will need to be replaced. This is a really hard dryer to access that Whirlpool only made for 1 year, so I'm sorry about that, but here is what needs to be done to access inside the dryer.  Unplug the dryer. To gain access, you need to pull the dryer forward and unplug it.  Next, remove the 2 bolts coming in from the back of the top panel.  The top panel will pull straight back, up, and off.  Remove the screws coming in from the inside of the dryer going into the control panel.  The control panel will then pull up and out of the way.  At this point, you just have a few screws going across the top of the front panel to remove.  Open the door and you need to remove the 2 screws below the door way. Tip the dryer backwards a bit and remove the screws below the front panel. Now you can remove the front panel to access the inside of the dryer and vent assembly.

Look behind the lint filter enclosure to the left. There is a little 1" thin flat white plastic device attached to the top of the blower wheel housing. Now there are actually 2 thin white plastic parts behind the lint filter and the fuse is the one future to the left.  Check continuity and make sure it has continuity if you have a multimeter.  If it happens to to test open or "bad", then replace the fuse.

Now if the fuse has continuity the only other thing that can cause this issue is if the dryer thinks the belt is broken.  So when you have the lower front panel off, do make sure the belt isn't laying on the ground broken.  There is a switch next to the motor that is activated when the belt is taut.  If by chance the belt is attached and the fuse happens to be good or when you replace it you still have an issue, you'll need to replace the main relay board mounted to the left side wall above the drum because it thinks that either the fuse is bad or the belt is broken.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.