Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I changed the water line to the GE GSS25LPGA refrigerator/freezer

I changed the water line to the GE GSS25LPGA refrigerator/freezer and the ice maler is doing nothing: not filling. What do I need to do?? The water dispenser ic working great.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

GE icemakers are a bit different.  Try turning the switch off.  Wait 60 seconds and turn the switch back on.  Push the white paddle in 3 times slowly within 15 seconds.  Then wait 2 minutes.  You should see the icemaker start to cycle.  If it doesn't cycle, replace the icemaker because it's just bad.  If it cycles but doesn't fill up with water, check the fill tube behind the icemaker and if it's frozen solid, use a hair dryer and thaw it out.  If you wanted to make sure it's clear, you can pull the refrigerator forward and remove the screws going into the lower back panel.  Follow the water line down from the icemaker down to the valve and disconnect the water line down at the valve.  Blow through the water line and then you'll know if it's cleared or clogged.  If it's not frozen, you'll need to replace the electronic water valve on the back of the refrigerator where your water supply line from your house connects to your refrigerator itself.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The water line does not seem to be frozen. The wter dispenser puts out plenty of water. Does the freezer use the same valve as the water dispenser?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
So, just because the water dispenser still works does not mean the water line isn't frozen. The valve IS the same for the dispenser and the icemaker. HOWEVER, there are 2 solenoids on the valve--one for the icemaker and one for the water dispenser. This means that the dispenser and the icemaker will fail independently so that when something does fail, it doesn't take out both the icemaker and the dispenser.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I disconnected the water line to the freezer and there is no blockage. Therefore the solenoid valve to the freezer must have failed. Thanks. Jim

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
It could also be the icemaker as well of course, so make sure its still cycling like I advised before. But if it advances then the valve will need to be replaced.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.