Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Hi Barry-- hope you can help. My AMANA French door refrigerator

Hi Barry-- hope you can help. My AMANA French door refrigerator was inadverdantly left open for a time during this current heat wave. The top part of the frig is warm while the freezer section is cold. There is frost built up on the coils at the back. This morning I used a hair dryer to melt the ice. After this the top part temp started dropping but the coils have once again built up with frost. Can you help?

Model number AFD2535DEW Serial# XXXXX
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So it sounds like all the frost was not completely thawed out. That entire back panel inside the freezer will need to be removed and the frost behind it will need to be thawed out. Now if that's a bit too much work, then you'll want to unplug the unit for 24 hours and leave the door open and it will thaw everything out on it's own. If you don't thaw everything out, the coils will frost right back up. Now keep in mind, that SOME frost is normal (about 1/8" coating of frost on the coils), but you just can't have them packed with frost preventing air from going up to the refrigerator from the freezer.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a plug with colored wires leading to ice maker. I'm assuming I have to unplug that to get the panel off. Also it looks like a regular screwdriver will take the panel off. Shall I just pull the wires to the ice maker ?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
So, you'll need to remove the entire icemaker and unplug the icemaker from the back panel as well as remove any shelves and wire racks in your way. The plastic vent panel at the back wall directly in the middle toward the top is just clipped in and needs to be unclipped. You need a flat head screwdriver and directly at the bottom of this plastic vent inside the center bottom hole is a plastic locking clip you can pry on to unclip the bottom of this vent. Stick your screwdriver into the right and left holes in this vent panel and pry to the right/left to unclip the vent. Then that vent will pull off. Other than that, just remove the screws going into the back panel and possibly the sensor to the right of the vent to pull the back panel off.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.