Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My Whirlpool Duet Sport washer does not work in any of the

Customer Question

My Whirlpool Duet Sport washer does not work in any of the cycles except for Drain/Spin.

I know it is not the door lock because when I put the cycle on drain/spin the door locks okay. All other cycles I hit Power, then start, the "add garment" light blinks and then nothing happens.

I plugged and unplugged the washer, I cleaned out the drain pump filter. I tried to run the service history mode but nothing happened and no console lights turned on. I was able to run just the diagnostic test and bypassed the service history mode. Everything worked fine. The water came in, the machine spun, and the water drained out.

I tried the regular wash cycle again, same issue.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Is anything showing up in the display when you press start? Is there an F error code or is the timer number flashing or??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, there is nothing showing up. I press "Power" put the option on regular wash cycle, press and hold down the start button. The add a garment lights up and then everything shuts down. The door does not lock either.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK so if nothing shows up on the display and everything shuts down, this is not going to be a problem that diagnostics will help and you can only go with symptoms. That being said, you have a failed control board. Now there are 3 different control boards do determining which board has failed is going to be really difficult an nearly impossible. Can eliminate the motor control board by pull the oven forward and removing the screws coming in from the back of the top panel. The top panel will pull straight back, up, and off. Now the main control board is mounted in the front right corner and if you disconnect the MI3 plug on the main control board, try to start the washer up again. If it starts up and doesn't shut down right away, then you need the motor control board. If it still acts the same way, I'd replace the main control board. Below is a link to the main control board.

CLICK HERE for part

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The ONLY time nothing shows up on the display and everything shuts down is when I hit Power, regular cycle (or any cycle except drain/spin), and then start.

When I hit drain/spin and start, the door locks, the cycle starts and the timer on the display counts down.

When I do the diagnostic test, the test starts, the timer shows the minutes on the display.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Aye, I understand that because you included that in your original statement. Diagnostics test is not going to help you for this problem. The answer is still the same and still very much accurate.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So if I understand correctly, one control panel controls all cycles except for the drain/spin cycle and the diagnostics test cycle?

I don't understand how all the tests can work on the diagnostics test cycle but when I want to just run a regular cycle, then it doesn't work.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Every control board controls ALL of the cycles. The problem is that you're looking at it in black and white. When a control board fails it doesn't usually just stop working completely. Each control board has hundreds of functions. One of those functions on one of the boards can fail and it won't affect anything else except that function. That means sometimes everything will work like normal but the washer won't drain. Or just one cycle like delicates won't work, or possibly the washer will only fill with hot water, etc... The list of possibilities is literally endless.