Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

I have a GE Profile Refer, Model #PGCS1PJYA SS..there is water

I have a GE Profile Refer, Model #PGCS1PJYA SS..there is water dripping from one of the air vents in the back wall of the freezer compartment. The water freezes in the shallow trough in the bottom of the freezer,..the water continues to drip and eventually finds its way to the drawer seal and ends up on the kitchen floor...whats the diagnosis?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

Here's a little trick I've used for over 10 years now, and it's saved countless return trips on refrigerator jobs.

One of the most common problems I see with frost-free refrigerators is drain freeze up. This is usually caused by the defrost drain clogging, then freezing. On older units, it can also happen when the insulation around the drain gets 'waterlogged', as it usually does over the years, and no longer keeps the drain above freezing temperatures.

The first symptom, at least in top-mounts, is water under the crisper drawers, on the floor of the refrigerator section.

Before I found this little trick, this was a frustrating problem that was hard to keep from recurring.

Now I keep a handful of 'drain heat exchangers' in the truck, and use a dozen or two most summers, when humidity is highest and refrig. drains have to handle the most water.

These are easy to make. Just cut a piece of #12 copper wire (strip from regular 12-2WG 'Romex' household wiring ) about 6 inches long and bend it around a 1/4 inch round rod. A screwdriver shaft works well for this, but any 1/4 inch dia. piece of metal will do. They look like this.

graphic

Now when your refrig drain clogs and you find the trough under the evaporator full of ice, here's what you do. Clear the ice, open the drain

and hang this little piece of copper on the defrost heater, so it extends down the drain. On most units, this is a black rod under the evaporator coil.

This heater is responsible for melting all that frost that we don't have to deal with since the advent of Frost-free units, and it glows a dull red during the defrost cycle, so there's plenty of excess heat for our purpose.

Anyway, since copper's such a good conductor of heat, some of the defrost heater's energy will transfer down the copper wire, into the drain, and keep it open. What I like to call 'stupidly simple', this uses no extra electricity and works very well!

One precaution: hang this piece of copper *loosely* over the defrost heater. Don't squeeze or crimp it on, or you risk damaging the heater.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating. . .

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I haven't tried the fix yet, but want to make sure we're on the same page here....the water is dripping and freezing INSIDE the freezer compartment... your reference to the trough under the evaporator being full of ice has me wondering...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't want to go through the effort to try this repair solution if there is a misunderstanding between us on the nature of the issue...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No reply from you to my replies?

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Yes this is what I was talking about, inside the freezer i the back wall of it...
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Tom,
Just checking to see if you followed my advice on your problem....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not yet....I guess all of the work you describe needs to be done from the back of the refer...meaning that I need to remove the back panel...correct?

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Yes the entire back panel of the freezer has to ome off...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the information...I'll let you know how it works out

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
I would love to hear how it works, have had great sucess with this repair,, Please be sure to rate my service before you go.. It is the only way we get credit for helping you with your problems

Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Just checking to see if you installed the wire yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Im to the point where I wanna call for a repair service....looks like removing the entire back panel is alot of work...there are no visible fasteners holdiong it in place

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Tom,
yo can do what you want, however the back wall is just pressed in,, it will pull out if needed, however I would defrost the unit before doing it..

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Did you get to it yet?