Rick
Rick, Repair Guy
Experience:  25 years service experience as a technician. Experienced on both high end and regular appliances.
15929851

my SHX57C dishwasher did not drain this last time i ran it.

my SHX57C dishwasher did not drain this last time i ran it. there's water standing in the bottom. i took out all the filters and cleaned them, but the water still stands. it's never done this before. hmmm... is there a button i can push to drain the water while i have the door open so i can see what's what? any advice would be helpful. thank you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

repairguy :

Hello my name isXXXXX will assist you.

repairguy :

Im sorry to say there is no buttons you can push to make this unit drain with the door open.

Customer:

how can i fix it or drain it?

repairguy :

the only thing you can do on a Bosch is start a cycle and then cancel the cycle, when you cancel the cycle you should hear the pump turn on

Customer:

and that should cause the water at the bottom of the washer to drain?

repairguy :

yes

repairguy :

if it does not then most likely you have a defective drain pump

repairguy :

which is not uncommon with Bosch

Customer:

and then run my next load and when it finishes see if there's no water in the bottom?

repairguy :

Just start the cycle, you will hear it start to fill and then immediately cancel cycle, if all the water goes away. start a rinse only cycle and see what that does

Customer:

i'll try that, thank you. also,there is a fairly loud humming when i start the washer which continues intermittently throughout the wash. that started some time ago. i remember once i found a piece of broken plate in the bottom after a cycle, and i wondered if that piece had stopped the bottom spray arm from turning, putting some kind of pressure on the motor or whatever.

Customer:

oh, should i leave the filters out when i do this cycle?

repairguy :

it may have gotten in the pump and locked the pump up

repairguy :

It will not matter on the filters your choice

repairguy :

If you need me just type back and I will get a email as I am taking kids to a birthday party. rest assured I will respond right away

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
If you still need me please feel free to ask anything, we are not done until you are happy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i just started a cycle then opened the door and stopped it. it didn't drain. what's the next thing i can do?

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
The only thing you can do is manually remove the water from the tub, then remove the bottom kick plate-which will give you access to the drain pump. Remove pump & inspect for obstructions, then replace pump and run a rinse cycle again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i'm going to try that now. any trick to getting the bottom kick plate off?

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
No there is a little latch on the side then twist off
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Were you able to find a obstruction in the pump?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i have to get a T-20 screwdriver to take off the two front screws. i can't get to the hardware store till tomorrow. may i still answer you tomorrow? really appreciate your help so far.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
I have to help my son mow lawns today, but I will leave my options as on line so I receive a email so I can help you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks. i'll get back to you after i get the screwdriver and see if i can pull the pump out.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Did the unit drain?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i ran the cycle once and stopped it and the water had not drained, so did what you said, got the water out of bottom and am going to take off the bottom front piece and take the drain pump out, but i have to get that screwdriver first.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
ok just let me know what I can do to help you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i have to go to work, but i'm going to the hardware store today to get the screwdriver. i should be able to get to the bottom plate and drain pump tomorrow. i'll let you know what i find.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good I will be here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i got the screwdriver yesterday and will take off the bottom piece this afternoon. i'll check in with you after that.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Perfect do your side and let me know and we will fix this for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i got the t-20 screwdriver and took the bottom piece off the dishwasher. i can see what i assume is the white pump with a silver/metal hose attached to it. there's a sort of larger screw in the front. i noticed screws on top of the filter inside. not sure what to unscrew or how to take out the pump. how do i get the pump out?

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
No that is not the drain pump, the drain pump should be white in color and there is a little catch that you hold out and then the drain pump just unlocks, no hoses are connected to it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok. i followed repair clinic's "drain pump replacement (part #642239) - Bosch Dishwasher Repair" video and took off the kick plate, unscrewed the bottom metal piece and took it off, unscrewed the front of the dishwasher door and took that off, removed the insulation and disconnected the drain hose, detached the three wires from the pump, turned the pump and took it out (it took a bit of wrestling and pulling and sliding; i don't know how i'm going to get it back in there, but i'll cross that bridge when i get to it). now. how can i know or test if the pump is shot or if the lack of drainage is due to something else. or do i just have to get a new pump and install it to see if that's the issue? so, i got the pump sitting on my desk. what can i do?

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry you are having such a time tonight. If there is enough room on the wires you can replug it in and turn the water supply off, and then start and cancel a cycle which in turn will activate that pump, you will either see the impeller turning or you wont, but this way we will know.

Nothing else has changed in your kitchen has it? Like you did not get a new disposal or anything?

If the pump turns then you will need to check the drain line to verify no blockage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok. is the impeller that rotary part with the nine fins around it? if it is, then it wasn't moving,. i shut off the water to the washer, reattached the three wires to the pump, went out and threw the breaker on, came back in and the washer door was closed and the washer was on so it was humming. i looked down at the pump on the floor and nothing was turning. i picked it up gingerly and looked at it, same thing. i opened the door and stopped the cycle.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
I would say you found the problem then, the drain pump must turn to drain the water. 67082K is the part number, you can order it from www.searspartsdirect.com for $45.24. Reinstall and I feel your problem should be solved. Please remember to rate the quality of my answers for you as this is how we are judged on this website.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

something told me i should check the drain pump once more -- i hooked up the wires, turned on the washer, closed the door, let it start, and when it shifted to its first cycle the motor worked. the impeller spun this time, on and then off, on and then off, along with the sound of the changing cycle.

so i guess the drain pump's good. so... what else? maybe a food clog in the hose that drains from the washer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
ok then most likely the pump is good, you can check the drain hose from where it is installed. Just disconnect the drain line from the disposal and blow through it with the pump off it should blow straight through, I do not see a anti siphon in the parts breakdown so there should be no obstructions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i disconnected the drain hose from the y-thing up underneath the sink where the drain hose and the larger hose to the disposal connect (you know that chrome cap thing that is on the sink; soap bubbles come out of it sometimes, like a pressure thing or something (?)).

i blew on the hose until i thought i was going to pop a blood vessel in my head. did that a few times. nothing. totally blocked. couldn't budge loose whatever is totally plugging up that hose. the drain pump is still out. it almost feels like it's not suposed to blow through it's so completely blocked. should i be opening something on the other end, the end by the pump, or something? man, it's really like flat out blocked.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
The chrome piece you are talking about is a air gap. You would need to disconnect from the air gap, as that is the hose going to the dishwasher.

The only other way, would be to uninstall the dishwasher and take the hose off completely. I know this is a lot of work put if the line is blocked this is the only way to repair.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it's weird, i can suck on the hose and water and air will come through easily (dirty, soapy, oily, whatever's left in the washer i guess), but the minute i blow on the hose it's like a gate closes or something, it's just blocked. but again, sucking it brings water and air through. i can only suck on it like three or four times and then hold the end of hose in a bowl as the water will runs out, but it does move through. there's a gurgling sound over by the pump area when i do that. but no open pathway going the other way. stopped cold.

with that, at the beginning you said to start and cancel a cycle. i don't know if you meant for me to follow the "canceling cycle" directions in the bosch dishwasher care and use manual, but i didn't. i just read those steps and i never pressed the "cancel drain" buttons or waited a minute for the washer to complete its cycle. i just turned on the washer, closed the door, heard it turn on, watched the impeller spin on and off, then opened the door.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
There must be a anti siphon in the line somewhere if you can suck the water through, but cant not blow it through. So I would say you have a good drain line and a good pump, reinstall the pump add some water( not a lot) and do the canceling a cycle directions. That makes the pump drain for 2 minutes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i gotta go to work in the morning tomorrow, but i'm going to put it all back together and do the cancel cycle test in the afternoon.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
No problem just let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

will do

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Thank you have a good day.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

. i've taken out the drain pump, ran the washer, and the impeller spins, so it's okay; so now i'm checking the drain hose. i disconnected it from the air gap on the sink, and the techs online said to blow on the hose, if you can blow through there's no obstruction, so i did but it was completely blocked. so i sucked on the hose (which no one told me to do) and i can suck air and water easily through the hose. so, the line is clear coming out, but completely blocked going in. so i'm wondering if there's an "anti-siphon" gate or door on the hose to prevent water or waste from backing up/running back through the hose and into the drain pump.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
I believe the anti siphon is working correctly. Please reassemble unit and try a cancel drain cycle on it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

will do. thank you. will let you know what happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i put the drain pump back in. i reconnected the drain hose to the air gap. i put the shorter hose in the front back in. i left the front of the door off because i can't figure out where the two angled white plastic blocks go (one has the red light that goes on when the dishwasher's running). i turned on the washer, pressed and held the two "cancel drain" buttons for three seconds, let go, it's on "auto", closed the door and it starts humming, i wait a minute, just humming, no water, i open the door and now it just keeps running/humming when the door's open (it's supposed to shut off when the door's open. i tried it again, let it run for like 5 minutes, same thing, no change, no shift, no water, just buzzing/humming.

i can't find a schematic online so i have no idea where to put those two plastic blocks back that dropped out when i took off the front of the door.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
those two pieces sit on the hinge. you will see little squares on the hinges with a mount. it sounds like you may have water in the base of the dishwasher. if there's water there then your dishwasher will only drain door open or door closed. clean up the water and it will act normal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

got the plastic pieces on the hinges, put the front back on the door. took out the filters and checked -- no water. i mean a tiny bit, more damp than wet. i turned the water off at the wall under the sink before i started taking hoses out, and the spigot is one of those quarter turn only ones. it's either turned to 6 o'clock or 3 o'clock. i swear it was at 3 (which i'm assuming is "open") when i went to shut it off, turning it so it was up and down (6 o'clock), so i have turned it back to three (across) thinking that that's open and letting the water through. but (and i apologize for this) as much as i've tried to take this process one step at a time and keep track of every step, i just don't know which way is open. it sure looks like there's no water getting into the dishwasher now.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
if you loose in the nut
on the water line that goes to the water valve you will see if you have water going to the unit or not
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok. i can do it tomorrow.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
were you able to test today?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes. water is running through the hose. i can't understand why when i turn on the washer the drain pump/impeller starts spinning and humming even though the washer door is open.

and even though water is definitely running through the intake hose i see no water coming out anywhere. weird.

i double checked how i re-plugged the wires to the drain pump after i put it back in: there's two posts; i swear the rear post is where the two wires on one plug plug in, and the front post is where the single wire plug plugs in.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
What happen if you pour a pitcher of water in the unit? Will it run or will it drain for you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i'm gonna try that. since the impeller spins when i turn the washer on whether the door's closed or open, should i do this while it's open so i can see what happens to the water?

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
ok let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i just did it. i poured a pitcher of water in and it immediately started to drain out the bottom even though i had to then go outside and through the breaker switch and then come back in and turn on the washer. so i poured another pitcher-full in and turned on the washer, held down the cancel drain and closed the door and it ran nice and quietly and the water went down and then i looked down at the kitchen floor on the right side (facing the right side) of the washer and all the water i'd poured in was running out on the floor. the washer is installed under the counter so i can't see where or why it's leaking. should i take the door off again so i can look in there again and maybe you can tell me why the water's pouring out under there when i truly don't remember touching anything but the -- wait a minute, unless you have an idea i'm going to take off the door front and check that hose in the front that i took off to get to the pump drain. i put it back on properly i thought, but...

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
There is also the white hose that was plugged into the sump, that may be loose. Second the pump may have not seated itself correctly. the reason the unit it running door open or not is because there is water in the base. Sometimes I even remove the screws from the water valve to give me room to clear water. I also think it will be easier if you remove the door
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i'm gonna check it out.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so i turned the breaker off and took off the door front again. i turned the drain pump till it came off and pressed it back in and turned it until it was snug. i felt around it and it seems to be fitted back solid. it doesn't rock or anything.

i felt around under the washer trying to find where the source of the leak might be. the "white hose plugged into the sump" that you refer to is i assume the short-ish hose running around in front of the drain pump; it looks like it's plugged into the underneath part of the filter area (sump?). there didn't seem to be any water leaking around the connections.

the entire underneath of the washer -- the plastic bottom tray sort of thing(s) is filled with water. i took towels and sopped up a lot; the places aren't full of water now, maybe damp here and there.

i wish i'd not put everything back together before i dumped the water in and ran it. i could have looked under there while it was running and might have seen the water pouring out of somewhere (or maybe not).

i know there's still water on the kitchen floor under the washer and under the refrigerator and i want to get that up so it doesn't find a way to get underneath the linoleum and into the subfloor. i got some of the water up, but as you know both of the appliances are too close to the floor to get a towel under there.

i'm baffled as to where all that water poured out.

what are the "screws from the water valve?" where are they located?

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
If you got most of the water in the base you are probably ok. restore power and see if it continues the non stop draining
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so it's kicked into a cycle now, it's running, water's coming in. i stopped it and turned the breaker off and felt around under there and it doesn't seem like it's leaking (i felt a little wetness at the back but i'm hoping that's just left over from before when i was sopping it up with a towel. when i open it water is still standing in the bottom (i've left the filters out for now so i can see the sump), but i'm wondering if the water will drain out when the wash cycle is done. i'm going to let it run for a while (it's empty, i hope that doesn't hurt it) if that's okay. maybe all the way through its wahs, and then open it up and see what's there. what do you think?

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Thats fine Im glad to hear it is washing, I'm hoping the next message I get from you, says you are repaired
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i've gotta go out so i'm going to open the door to stop it running while i'm gone but when i get back i'll close it again and let it resume its cycle if that's okay.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
sure
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

this morning i closed the washer door again and it resumed running (we run it on "A" auto wash), no water leaking as far as i can see. however, i've been opening the door occasionally as it cycles through and there is always water, filling up the sump and the bottom. it's not overflowing the bottom but it's full. that's how it was after its washing/drying cycle was done over a week ago when i started this repair process. i'm going to let it run through it's whole run just like it's washing a load of dishes and then i'm going to look at the bottom again and see if there's water standing there still.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Ok just let it finish its cycle and update me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so, i let it run through the cycle and there was no water (just a little bit down in the bottom of the sump) when it was finished. i put the filters back in and ran a load of dishes last night, same thing. i'm going to put the front of the door back on and the bottom pieces and run another load tonight and see if it runs well. i have no idea why the water was pooling down there; as much work and dismantling and removing and checking as i did this last week and a half, in the end i did nothing to change anything, nothing new, didn't change or replace anything. weird. i'll let you know when i have it all back together and it's finished it's load, probably tomorrow.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
ok, i will wait
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i put the front of the door and the bottom pieces back on and ran another load. the washer still hums pretty loud in the first cycle (certainly loud for a "quiet dish washer") but then quiets down; and it gets loud a couple more times before the entire wash is through.

if you have any thoughts or suggestions as to why it still hums loudly at certain times (during certain cycles i guess) i'd like to know.

the good news is the washer seems to be working fine; no water pooling in the bottom. i wish i knew why, because as we know, i didn't do anything to "fix" anything; i just took some stuff apart, checked it, and put it back together.

i can't thank you enough for sticking with me and guiding me through this; i could never have done it without your help.

thank you. my best to you and yours. take care.

sincerely,

john lang

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
John, I'm glad to hear that your unit is at least working now. Believe it or not a lot of units get fixed this way. I don't have a lot of ideas why your unit is loud in certain instances and not others. If I can be of any more help down the road please come back and I will do whatever I can to help you.

If you could do me one favor and come back to the website and rate the quality of my answers, that is how we are rated and compensated for helping customer.

It was a pleasure working with you.

Rick Webert
Rick, Repair Guy
Experience: 25 years service experience as a technician. Experienced on both high end and regular appliances.