Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

have samsung washing machine and it wont drain because rug

have samsung washing machine and it wont drain because rug backing disintegrated in wash cycle and system is plugged up. How can i unplug the system?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So there should be a drain catch in the lower front corner of your washer. You'll need to remove this cover and there is a small hose that you can remove the cap on to drain the washer for emergencies like this. If it's not completely plugged it will drain out into a pan that you place under it. Then you can unscrew the the 2-3" diameter drain cap and remove the blockage inside. Be sure to have lots of towels ready for any water that couldn't be removed from the emergency drain catch. Below is a video that shows you how to access these drain parts.

CLICK HERE for video

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i have tried your suggestion. no material is coming out of the drain. I believe the rubberized backing material from a rug has clogged the pump. please advise how to remove pump

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
That is quite a major task. You may need a technician to access the pump. To access the drain pump, you need to pull the washer forward and unplug it.  Pull the dispenser drawer completely off the washer.  Next, remove the 2 bolts coming in from the back of the top panel.  The top panel will pull straight back, up, and off.  Remove the screws coming in through the dispenser opening and the screws coming from the inside of the washer going into the control panel.  There is one screw down at the filter catch you need to remove as well.  The control panel will then pull up and out of the way.  At this point, you just have a few screws going across the top of the front panel to remove.  Open the door and you need to disconnect the rubber door gasket.  There is a wire ring around the front lip of the rubber door gasket.  Use a flat head screwdriver and pry the wire ring off the gasket.  Now you can remove the front panel to access the drain pump located under the drum attached to the drain catch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

once i remove the pump is it necessary to replace the pump or just remove the debris inside the pump. I am assuming within the system there is still the rubberized backing material which needs to be removed as well. or will this come out once the pump is unplugged

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
You can probably just remove all the debris inside the drain lines and pump and it'll be fine. Only if it doesn't work after that point will you want to replace the drain pump.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.