Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a du1145xtpba wirlpoll dishwasher when i try to run

Customer Question

I have a du1145xtpba wirlpoll dishwasher when i try to run it, it makes noise as if it is running however no water comes in it stops tries again about a minute later no change
I have replaced the fill valve and the float moves freely and clicks when moved up and down
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If you're positive that the dishwasher is definitely getting water from your house then you either have an issue with your electronic water valve underneath the washer, the control board, or your float switch is stuck in the up position. It sounds like you've checked the float switch already so if the switch checks good we can move onto the valve or the control board. Remove the kick panel below the door and look under the dishwasher and if you don't see any wires unplugged then you will likely need to order and replace your electronic water valve.

Now if you have a multimeter, you can do one more test to confirm the valve is bad by testing for 120 volts across the 2 wires going to the electronic water valve. If you have 120 volts and it's not filling, then your valve is definitely bad. If you don't get 120 volts, then you need a new control board.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I replaced the fill valve and test the old one as good if the controller is bad why does it sound as if it runs?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
If the noise is coming from the valve itself, then either it's not getting water from your house or possibly it's not getting 110 volts needed to open the valve. It could be getting something like 60 volts. If the noise is coming from somewhere other than the valve, the the control board may just not be sending water to the valve but it's still sending power to the drain pump or circulation pump. Control boards aren't black and white when they fail most of the time. They don't just completely short out and die. They control many functions and 1 function can fail independently and not affect any of the other functions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it sounds as if a pump is trying to run. if no water enters does this stop the pump and will the pump try again.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Whether the dishwasher fills with water or not, it does not stop the pump from trying to running. But the pump will turn on and off from overheating since there is no water inside the tub.