Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Frigidaire Gallery series side by side refrigerator

I have a Frigidaire Gallery series side by side refrigerator that no longer makes ice, and the freezer does not maintain a cold temperature. I had a technician look at it, he opened the panel in the back panel of the freezer and said the coils should be covered in frost, which they were not, only about one third were covered in frost. He said the unit was low on Freon caused by a leak in the odor line, and that the unit was not repairable. Are there any other possibilities?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

I wanted to explain the icemaker first just so you're clear why the icemaker isn't working. The icemaker will not advance if the temperature inside the freezer isn't below 10 degrees. So the fact that your freeze isn't running correctly is why the icemaker doesn't work.

Now as for your cooling issue, he is correct that the coils should be lightly frost from top to bottom. You with have a freon leak or an inefficient compressor but it's not something you can know without tapping into the unit.

Now lets talk about the leak. The technician says that it's in the "odor" line, but I think what you means to say is the "Yoder loop" which is the line that runs around the frame of the refrigerator and freezer door which is inaccessible. This is actually un-repairable. But if you don't leave in a really humid climate, you can bypass the loop--but you'll need a technician to do this as it requires you to be licensed in refrigeration to work with the freon system.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well when you say the loop can be bypassed if I don't live in a really humid climate, do you mean humid year round, I live in New Jersey. While it does get hot in the summer it's not humid every day. If this is possible, what would be the average cost for this type of repair?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
So that yoder loop is in place so that if you live in a humid climate (which New Jersey is), it warms up the frame of the refrigerator where the door seal touches. This prevents the humidity from possibly freezing and sealing the door seal to the frame of the freezer which prevents you from opening the door. I'm not sure if bypassing is something you can do if you have a lot of humidity in the winter---but if it's indoors, you likely won't have problems.

Either way, the cost of bypassing the yoder loop is usually about $350-400 when you factor in re-charging the freon system, bypassing the yoder loop, and replacing the drier filter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is it possible to estimate the life expectancy of this repair? I'm just trying to decide if I should invest in an new unit as opposed to spending 3 to 4 hundreds dollars in repairs.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
If it's repaired correctly, then you shouldn't have an issue for 10-20 years regarding this problem or something similar. But as for other things, fans, electronics, and controls can fail before that. Normally refrigerators last about 10-12 years before they begin having small problems every few years.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That's why this is so surprising, this unit is not even 4 years old yet.Have you ever heard of a unit having a problem that is not repairable after such a short period of time?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
It happens, but very rarely. I'd say on units that are less than 1 year old I deem about 2 or 3 units (out of hundreds I see each year) un-repairable and the manufacturers replace them. Now those are just the ones under the first year warranty, but as you can see, it happens to even brand new units sometimes.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.