Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Hello- My Maytag dryer (MDE3000AYW) is having temperature issues,

Hello- My Maytag dryer (MDE3000AYW) is having temperature issues, and has been for a while. The 'Infinite Temerature Adjustment" is anything but. It runs max heat except when in the "Air Fluff" setting. I took it apart last week to do my yearly cleaning and found a broken blower wheel. I replaced it, as well as the belt while I was in there. I checked the coils, and none are grounding out. The vent is completely clear. I'm not sure if I can test the high heat sensors or the Infinite Temp switch or? What can/should I look for? Thanks- Joel
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

You can not check the cycling thermostat and the high limit thermostat has nothing to do with the problem. The infinite temperature adjustment is possibly bad, but lets test to find out. Below is a picture of the cycling thermostat as well as a link to order the part. When you set the temperature to a low heat setting, test for 120 volts between the 2 wires going to the terminals I have arrows pointing to. If you don't have 120 volts, replace the infinite temperature adjustment. If you have 120 volts, replace the cycling thermostat. Be sure to do this test while the dryer is running and you have it set to a low temperature setting.

graphic
CLICK HERE for thermostat

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Wanted to make sure I'm testing the correct thermostat. Is it the one on the angled corner of the tube, near the front of the machine? If so, I've got zero voltage at any temp setting. This would require a new IT switch I assume? Thanks-

So, yes, it's the only thermostat with 4 wires going to it. It's mounted near the angled corner of the tub toward the front of the machine below the drum.

But if you're not getting any power between the 2 wires I have arrows drawn to, you'd want to replace the IT switch.