Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

we have a sub zero 550 series fridge. We have never had a problem

we have a sub zero 550 series fridge. We have never had a problem but this morning we noticed that the wood floor surrounding the fridge/freezer is warped. This literally happened overnight. I have turned off the freezer as I believe there is something wrong with the pipe for the ice maker.
Help!!! I have put in a call to Subzero here in Montreall
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So there are two possibilities, but the icemaker is the most likely culprit if this all happened over night. It is possible that your drain pan below the refrigerator is overflowing and leaking on the floors causing them to buckle. or the more likely culprit is that the water line from the water valve going to the icemaker has either broken or frozen solid causing back pressure and water to spray out. Drying out the floors is key, so if you can get a fan on the wood floors that will help a lot. It takes months to dry out completely, but normally once the wood is dry you'll hardly notice any damage. Either way, be sure to turn the water off to the refrigerator and turn the icemaker off until the servicer gets out there. You can look at the fill tube behind the icemaker inside the freezer if you want to see if it's frozen solid. If so, then it will need to be thawed out with a hair dryer and the electronic water valve that your water supply line connects to will need to be replaced on the refrigerator.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you so much..we just don't know how to turn off the icemaker so we turned off the whole freezer..can we access the pan under the fridge ourselves

If you remove the kick panel along the floor you shoudl be able to access the drain pan (I believe on the right side), but it's a tight area. I will say that it's somewhat problematic to leave the whole freezer off in terms of the technician coming in a few days because they will have a hard time locating the problem if it was a frozen fill tub. If the fill tube is frozen and it thaws out, then the technician will have no way to prove what was causing the leak. As for turning the icemaker off, just lift the arm on the icemaker and that should turn it off.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok we have done what you suggested....but the arm of the icemaker just falls down and doesn't stay in place..suggestions

Hmm, not sure why it's not holding up because it should. Possibly taping it up or proping it up somehow will achieve the same effect since it won't stay up on it's own.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

shall I send a photo..? would that help?

Not exactly. I've worked on many of these units. I'm just saying that it should hold up on it's own. If it's not, then you'll need to find a way to prop it up or tape it up so that it doesn't want to cycle anymore and it thinks the ice bucket is full all the time.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it's now up as there's a little plastic piece to hold it up. Seems we've been lucky not have problems before

Awesome. So, I would check the drain pan just to be certain it won't continue overflowing. If it's overflowing, soak up the water with a towel. Also, turn the water off to the refrigerator if you know where the shut off is in case there is a leak at the electronic water valve or a connection. This will ensure you don't have further damage until the technician can come out.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so you suggest we do look under the freezer. don't know where to turn the water off to the fridge

Aye, if you can I would look under the freezer. You might actually see where the water is coming from and if the drain pan is overflowing then you can soak up some water to prevent it from causing more damage.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok we pulled out the pan. and there is a trace of water infiltraion thank you thank you

no problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

all done just need to know about water supply to fridge

Unfortunately I'm not there so I couldn't tell you were the shut off is to the water supply to the refrigerator. There should be a separate shut off valve, but sometimes it's under the sink or the in the basement---it really could be anywhere.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

well, I don't know how to say this and we thank you for your help but we found the problem and it wasn't with our 1998's from our 2008 washing machine that sprung a leak overnight and we are so thankful to have found that. Now our fridge is not culprit

ah. Well a washer is certainly easier to repair than a built in refrigerator so there is a silver lining in the washer actually being the culprit.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes and we have the fans and de humidifiers going thanks to your advice and the freezer is really clean
not a problem at all.