Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

my Sub-Zero model 642 (13 years old) is not cooling the refrigerator

my Sub-Zero model 642 (13 years old) is not cooling the refrigerator side, but the freezer is fine. I have vacuumed the condensor which wasn't very dirty since I had done this last year. SUggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If you remove the access panel to the condenser and compressors and such, there should be 2 big black round compressor. Touch both of them and can you tell me if one is hotter than the other? Are they room temperature, blazing hot, or warm?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

both compressors are pretty warm but I can put my hand on them

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

after submitting my answer, the screen went to a sign up page, I already entered my credit card info

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have now signed up but not obvious what screen will provide your answers

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Please ignore the sign-up page. You are correct that you entered the information already.

That being said, you'll need to pull everything out of the refrigerator and remove the back panel inside the refrigerator. Toward the bottom are silver coils. You need to see what the frost looks like on these coils. Most likely they will have some frost/ice build up on a portion of them but not the rest. The rest will be silver and this indicates a freon leak. The evaporators on these units leak and often need to be refilled as well as the refrigerator recharged.

In addition to that. With the back panel off you can see the coils and if they happen to be lightly frosted from top to bottom--then you don't have a freon leak. Your sealed system is working normally. You can shut the door and open it quickly or hold in the switches at the top of the door way to make sure that the fan is running when you hold in the switches. If not, then you could have a bad switch or a bad fan motor.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, I will pull the panel but will probably have more questions after I do that - I will leave this screen open while I am following your suggestions

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK good luck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

panel is out, coils are black, not silver, no frost anywhere but remember door has been ope quite a while while removing food , shelves and back panel

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
If the refrigerator is still turned on, that shouldn't matter. The coils would be frosted anyways. So if there is no frost, you either have a bad compressor or a freon leak and you'll need a technician to repair this issue because you need to be licensed to work on the sealed system.

If you shut the refrigerator off, turn it back on for 15 minutes and if it's not lightly frosted from top to bottom, you still have a freon leak or bad compressor.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.