Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

lg washer will not spin during cycle . I used diagnostic mode

Customer Question

lg washer will not spin during cycle . I used diagnostic mode and it spun
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a model number so that I can better assist you? it should be located on a sticker just inside the door way.

Also, have you tried to run a load with no clothes inside? Will it still not spin? What does the tub do exactly when it should be spinning? Does the washer just shut off? Does the tub just go back and forth? Please explain.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

model WM1815CS

the motor runs but the tub does not spin. it rotates during the wash cycle. when the spin cycle comes on the motor runs but does not spin and the water does not drain

I pushed the soil spin and power buttons and then start 2 times and the spin cycle ran fine

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK so you either have a bad control board or a bad RPS sensor. The difference with the unit not spinning in a normal cycle is that it checks for balance and such where as diagnostics will ignore whether the washer is balanced. The RPS sensor mounted to the front of the stator motor is what determines if the washer is balanced or not and it will try to get the motor to re-adjust. I'd replace the RPS sensor first and if needed, the main control board if the problem continues. You can't test either part--but these would be the two parts responsible for your problem. If you pull the washer out and unplug the washer, you can remove the screws going into the back access panel and set the access panel off to the side. Remove the bolts holding the rotor and motor onto the tub which are located directly in the middle on the back of the tub. There is a plastic sensor clipped onto the back side of the motor with a few small wires going to it. This is your RPS sensor you need to replace. Below is a link to the part

CLICK HERE

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

do I remove the bolt in the middle of the rotator. it looks like the main axle?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure what bold you are referring to, but below is a video that shows the exact process.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I removed the sensor. I am trying to find a replacement part locally so I can re install but they are all closed.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Aye, there won't be any places open today or tomorrow. But at this point you know which parts can cause this problem and need to be replaced as well as how to take the unit apart so you should be all set. Good luck to you!

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

if it is not the sensor I guess it is the control panel will you assist me in the installation?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Of course. But not the control panel--the control board. And the control board is mounted behind behind the control panel and it's all plug and play. You need to remove the top panel and then the control panel. There are 2 screws coming in from the back of the top panel and then the top panel will pull straight back, up, and off. Then pull the dispenser drawer out and remove the screws through the dispenser frame. Remove whatever other screws are coming into the control panel from inside the washer and remove the control panel. Below is a link to the part you need to replace.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

changed sensor still no spin cycle

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hmm, then possibly your motor really is drawing too much power making the unit think it's out of balance. Now since diagnostics ignores the fact that the washer thinks it's out of balance, we know it's just a balance issue. But the sensor that gives the signal is given by the sensor and the sensor is new, so that means either the control board is bad and is just reading the sensor incorrectly, or the motor is bad and drawing more power than it needs, or possibly the bearing is going out and that is why the motor is pulling too much power. It's really a crapshoot at this point since the common sensor replacement didn't fix the issue and you really can't test anything other than the bearing by going into diagnostics and doing the spin cycle and just listening for an abnormal noise. If it sounds good then either the motor or the control board needs to be replaced and that could be an expensive guess.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The spin works when I press soil spin and power. I do not here any knocking

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Not sure what to say. if you're not getting any error codes, it's either the motor or the control board at this point.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will run complete cycle and get the code. I ordered a control board

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
ok, good luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Code 0E

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK that's a drain issue. That means your washer isn't draining properly. Remove the lower front left access panel and unscrew the drain catch. Look for a clog inside the drain catch. Remove any debris and if you find nothing, you'll need to take the drain pump out which is not so easy. To access the drain pump, you need to pull the washer forward and unplug it.  Pull the dispenser drawer completely off the washer.  Next, remove the 2 bolts coming in from the back of the top panel.  The top panel will pull straight back, up, and off.  Remove the screws coming in through the dispenser opening and the screws coming from the inside of the washer going into the control panel.  There is one screw down at the filter catch you need to remove as well.  The control panel will then pull up and out of the way.  At this point, you just have a few screws going across the top of the front panel to remove.  Open the door and you need to disconnect the rubber door gasket.  There is a wire ring around the front lip of the rubber door gasket.  Use a flat head screwdriver and pry the wire ring off the gasket.  Now you can remove the front panel to access the drain pump located under the drum attached to the drain catch.

Check for any blockage and if you find nothing, replace the drain pump. Otherwise remove the blocking inside the pump itself and you should be good to go.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That was the problem. It was clogged. It is spinning now

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I'm glad the issue was fixed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I rated you excellent

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much. If you need anything else just let me know.