Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Whirlpool GI7FVCXW02 refrigerator touchscreen is not working.(blank,

Customer Question

Whirlpool GI7FVCXW02 refrigerator touchscreen is not working.(blank, flashes occasionally, no ice or water) I tried replacing the cards in the back, still not working. I read someone fixed this by "cleaning contacts", any thoughts/suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Cleaning contacts is not likely going to fix this issue I'm afraid. If the display board is flashing occasionally, then remove the upper left door hinge cover and disconnect the wire harness going through the door. Make sure the the contacts don't look burnt and then plug it back in. If it still isn't working, your touchscreen board itself needs to be replaced. This is a $400-600 part depending on what color you need so be sure to contact or or some parts dealer to make sure you get the correct part for your model AND color.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It was not a $400 card...It was a $.025 watch battery. CV2032 in the circuit card was dead.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
That is quite interesting. That battery is only designed to keep your information saved when you have a power outage or whatnot. It should not affect normal performance of the display whatsoever when the refrigerator is plugged into the outlet. I've seen stranger things, but it really does make no sense at all.