Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
13202342

Embarco emy 60 HSBC compressor was running for 24 hrs fridge

Customer Question

Embarco emy 60 HSBC compressor was running for 24 hrs fridge and freezer cold. Moved refrigerator plugged in , fridge running. 20 minutes later compressor off fan off fridge warm. Compressor warm to the touch. Any thoughts on what may be wrong would be greatly appreciated.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

Randy 43 :

hello , how long has it been off for? thx Randy

Customer :

The fridge sat unused for several years. Plugged it in and it was running perfectly for 24hrs. Some jostling ocurred when relocating the fridge (by some, I mean quite a bit). Plugged it back in was running, at some point with a 20 min period of plugging it in it was no longer running. compressor model is embarco emy 60hsc (sorry missed the autocorrect)

Randy 43 :

so nothing runs now? no fan ,no compressor ,no noises?

Customer :

yup....if you adjust the thermostat from off to on you can hear a faint clicking but nothing from either fan or the compressor

Customer :

and possibly the clicking was my imagination

Randy 43 :

it almost sounds like it may be stuck in the defrost cycle , if you see a defrost timer in the console ,usually just a opening to turn the timer ,put a screwdriver in there and give it a slight turn and see if it starts?

Randy 43 :

Defrost Timer RF-7400-11      Main Product View
Full Size Image

Randy 43 :

the darker grey dial turns

Randy 43 :

it is either in the console of the fridge section or at the back of the fridge

Customer :

console? the back where the compressor is? there is nothing like that where the compressor is.

Randy 43 :

console inside where the controls are ,where you adjust temps

Customer :

thought that might be what you were referring to wanted to make sure.

Customer :

fans are working but compressor doesn't seem to to be but you can feel it vibrating if you touch it

Randy 43 :

if it is vibrating it is getting power ..it does vibrate when it runs ..you can check the connections to the compressor ,make sure they are tight ..but a compressor will not start right away if you suddenly cut power again,it has to equalize the pressures,which can take 5 minutes or sp

Customer :

I can't check it again till tomorrow but if it is running again,what would make the defrost cycle stick or was it just dumb luck

Randy 43 :

it would be either a sticky timer itself,could be corroded contacts or tight from sitting so long or bad defrost heater contacts (less likely)

Customer :

thanks , I will check it tomorrow and let you know if it worked out

Randy 43 :

ok