Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

GE ASH18DDS1 - Worked fine last fall and the last 9-10 years

GE ASH18DDS1 - Worked fine last fall and the last 9-10 years of ownership. It is mounted directly in the wall and covered up for the winter. Went to power up and their was a brief audible buzz and nothing. Reset Breakers, unplugged unit, repeated steps, and the same result. Any thoughts?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! Is the fan motor coming on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I plugged the unit in, there is no indication of power just a quick beep and then nothing. I unplug the unit, wait a few minutes and repeat, and the same thing, "beep", dead.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No fan motor, no lights, no hum, nothing after the initial "beep."

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Are you there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Relist: Other. I am not getting any answer. It is 10:24 EST, and I have received two questions (not answers) in 2 hours. Frankly, I am very disappointed as I wasted $30.

Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.

I see you have relisted your question .

So you know this is a voluntary site this is not our regular jobs this is side work for most of the experts on this site ,your question was at 1030 on a Friday night

.

I know I was in Bed by that time.

I can assist you if you still need assistance?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do need help and I did know what time it was. As far as where you are, I don't know, and as far as side work is concerned, that is good. However, I don't like being charged for work that is not attempted. But that is "neither here, nor there" and it certainly is not your problem. In any case, assistance is appreciated.

Ok lets get started .

#1 when not in use do you unplug the unit from the power supply?

if not I have a feeling the electronic control is damaged ,this can be from something as simple as a voltage spike ,a brown out ,power flickering off and back on ,humidity and even a faulty componenton the board .

#2 And have you verified the unit has proper power to it ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

#1- When not in use the unit is plugged in. When I unplug the unit for approx 60 sec, and plug it back in, it beeps (no light, no compressor, nothing additional) momentarily.

#2 It is on its own separate circuit and I repeatedly check the circuit breaker each time I unplug it to verify it is not being tripped at the box.

ok good info Thank you .

I`m sorry to say I believe it is in the control itself which is the brain of the unit .

I recommend replacing the control .

CLICK HERE for part info

I did also look for the cheapest supplier .

sears wants over $250 .00 for the part .

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news !!

Experience: 30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line