Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

hello. I have a GE side by side GSS25LGPA, and it just stopped

hello. I have a GE side by side GSS25LGPA, and it just stopped working. I cleaned the condensor coils and the fan is working both inside and out. I don't hear the compressor cycling on/off
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today.

Good morning, Can you tell me if you hear any clicking comming from the back ? any at all even a slight click ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no clicking at all. the compressor is silent.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay , the cause for that is the main control board. Main Control Board WR55X10942 Main Product View G.E had to redesign these boards. a lot of the time you will find a burnt solder joint on the back side. graphicin the area where I put an arrow but not always will you see it. this board is mounted on the back of the refrigerator behind an 8X10 " cover. you can order this at the following link. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Main-Control-Board/WR55X10942/1531075?modelNumber=GSS25LGPACC?RCAID=1000065
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How can I know if the problem is the control board, or the compressor. I just felt the compressor and it's not warm/hot. Is there a way I can confirm it's the control board before I order it?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
If you have a volt meter you can test for 120 volts to the compressor and if your not getting 120 volts the board has failed, these compressors in these refrigerators never fail however. also the link I gave you has a 100% money back guaranty even if you installed it and it didn't fix your issue. (although I'm 99% sure it will) trust me I know this model and thats the issue 99% of the time. we rarely ever have to replace anything else in these. hope this helps, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank Bryan. I just pulled the panel, and flipped the board up. and like you said, the burnt solder joint is there. I am proficient with soldering. Can I simply resolder the joint, or has the relay (832A-1C-S) failed as well?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
yes if you can re solder it that will work. I have done that for customers that couldn't afford a board. if theres enough there to solder firmly then it should work fine Smile
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok. I'll give that a try. Thanks. I'll leave good feedback once it's fixed.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay no problem, have a great day ! thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

solder fix worked! I cleaned up in the joint nicely, reinstalled the PCB, plugged the frig in and bammm! compressor came right on. the inside coils are getting frosty right now. thanks. you saved me $186 plus all the food I would have had to throw out waiting for the board to arrive! have a great weekend Bryan

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Thats great news ! So glad to help, thanks and have a great weekend ! Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.