Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

Hi, I have a Kenmore Refrig Mdl 106.74204400 Evaporator coil

Hi, I have a Kenmore Refrig Mdl 106.74204400 Evaporator coil is 'frosting-up'. Notice 2 other things.... humidity in refrig is like 50%, the rim around the freezer (door opening)is very warm.. maybe hot. Have defrosting the evap coils and started cooling down.

What say u,
Rudy
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Check around behind the refrigerator first, is the fan back there operating?

Then check in the freezer, is the fan in there operating and are the coils frosted now?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Somehow we got disconnected, but both fans are working...

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX coils frosted now and do you have a meter to test with?

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes the coils were frosted, but I thawed the coils and restarted cooling

That is fine, there is a defrost heater that is U shaped. It runs along the bottom of the freezer coils. Unplug the refrigerator and set a meter to ohms put one lead in each connection on that heater. What does that read?

On or near the top of the coils is a thermostat. Its shaped similar in size to a half roll of quarters. Do the same test except this part should be frosty cold. Does that part measure about the same as if you touched the meter probes together?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I checked the heater... it measred abt 16 megs. I'll go and check the thermo, if i find it. Are the contacts visible like the heater??

Yes it will have a connector you can seperate and you can test there or it will have 2 connectors.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hey Mr Barry, I went down to check the thermo.... the refrig shut down.

Both fans are off... like in the rest mode :)

That is fine you can still take apart either it is defrosting or it has reached temperature and shut off. be sure to unplug it.

Bsrry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Wow what a job... I appears to be an open ckt. I couldn't remove the multipin conn from the rear panel. I assumed the brown and pink wires were for the thermo. I was able to remove the connector (for the heater) and got access to the brown wire. For the pink wire hopefully made contact on the multipin conn. How can I disconnect it from the rear panel?

There should be a lock you can unlock and pull. Be sure the part is cold, you may even have to turn it back on and get it cold. But if that part is reading open and you are sure, then that is your bad part. You can get one at Sears if they do service calls or an appliance parts store, the new part will be a splice in part. If you find that part closed please let me know.

If you found my answer satisfactory please login if you are not already logged in and please leave an ok or better rating so that I am compensated. If you have any questions use the reply to expert link.

Thanks,
Barry

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, I'll turn it back on. The frost was dipping when I started measurements. How long should I wait for the next test??

If the new thermo is 'spliced on' meaning using wire nuts, should I cut the wires now and make a new measurement. Can I relocate the thermo to get more space to splice??

One other item. Should I be able to feel air following thru the refrig vents??

The air flow is very light in the fresh food section.

Try to use paperclips and insert them into the connector if the meter probes will not fit, try not to cut the wire's unless you need to replace it. And the thermostat needs to be in the location it is to detect the heat properly when the defrost is finished so it shuts the heater off at the right time.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The refrig, the food section, sounds very quite. Normal??

How long should I wait for the thermo test.

Yes that is normal, just til the coil that the thermostat is sitting on is frosty. That will be long enough.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Again, check Sears thermo part. Entirely different, one has a two pin connector, the other, looks like a chalk stick. No quarters

You might be measuring the temperature sensor. Not the defrost thermostat. It will appear similar to the image below. I am aware it is not on the diagram.
graphic

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yep, that's it!! Now I need to find the part #..

Thanks

GIve me one minute and I will have it for you.

Barry
The factory part number to shop with is(NNN) NNN-NNNN That is the same part as I have the image up there for.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Mr. Barry,

Thanks alot for ur time and excellent support. I hope we meet again

It was nice to get to work with you. If you ever need to ask a question please return and thank you for the opportunity.

Barry