Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
13202342

The rubber insulation atrips around my refrigerator and freezer

The rubber insulation atrips around my refrigerator and freezer doors is awfully hot. What can be done to cool those strips?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
hwllo, can you give me the make and model of your fridge ? thx randy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

where is your answer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Help, I gave you make & model 3 times already!

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
I didnt receive any model number > can you post it again?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You are really frustrating me! 3 times, I've sent it to you already. If I'm doing something incorrectly, PLEASE let me know.!

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
you have 2 open questions did you post it to another tech? i can only see what is on this page ,like your last response
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just filled in the box below your reply. Here it is again.

GE Profile Model # XXXXX And now, I will click the button below that says: Reply to Expert.

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
ok thx ,i got it now ,give me a few minutes , the frame around the seals is also hot to the touch as well as the seals correct?
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
ok , if the fan at the back of the fridge beside the compressor is not running ,it will not cool the freon or the compressor down and the frame gets a lot hotter than it should , that would be the first thing to check ,it is behind the cover at the rear of the fridge ,fridge does need to be pulled out for this , can you let me know if the fan is running?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just now, I can hear humming like a motor running, and I can also see thru a grill, and the fan is NOT running. Should that fan run constantly?

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
if the compressor (black dome) is running then the fan should be running as well , try turning the blade by hand ..if seized up it needs a new fan
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
if you turn the blade and it starts up ? then again the bearing in the motor is tight and would need replacement
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, I've spun the fan around many times and it does NOT start to run.

And I think the compressor and frame are much hotter than before I vacuumed and blew the dust out ( but there was relatively little dust on the coils.).

So, what's next?

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
everything will be hotter if the fan is not running , it should be running at the same time as the compressor , make the connection to the fan is tight , if you have any way of confirming there is power at the fan,like a meter or volt pen that would be ideal ,if it has power tand not running ? then definately the fan is dead
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Got no meter, so I have set up a floor fan to cool the compressor and the parts around it for now. everything was getting too hot to touch.

So, what's next?

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
yes , that should work , 90% the fan is gone , it would need a meter to confirm 100% m but it is definately fan related
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What guidance do you have regarding replacement of the fan?

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
changing the fan is easy , it is just held into the bracket by a few screws and you you just transfer the fan blade over and connect the wiring
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert