Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

I pulled my unit out to do some tile work. I can here the motor

I pulled my unit out to do some tile work. I can here the motor or electrical noise, but it isn't freezing nor getting cold I had to remove all the ice from ice maker and lifted the arm to off. Is there a magic reset or should i just replace the whole fridge. here are some of the numbers on service order. PSD24506RW (NNN) NNN-NNNNA R# XXXXX
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

How long has it been since you moved it?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I unpluged for a few mins it seemed like moter came on a little stronger when i pluged it in, but still isnt getting cold

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
First look in the freezer (even though it may be warm) at the rear inside wall, can you find a frosty spot anywhere? Sometimes you have to feel the wall as its difficult to see.

Check to see that the freezer fan is blowing steady air out of the vent in the freezer, is it?

If the freezer fan is operating and you found no frost on the rear inside wall of the freezer go around behind the unit and remove the lower panel. Touch the compressor on the top. Is the compressor hot, warm or cold and is it vibrating? And have you heard a buzz or click from back there?

Is the fan back there working as well?

Thanks,
Barry

CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the only thing moving in back is the fan. compressor isnt hot nor any vibration. no buzzing or clicking,just the fan. no frozen spots.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Roger, give me just a few minutes.

Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.

Roger you need to replace those parts at the side of the compressor. They pull straight off there is nothing holding them on other than the tight fit. Sometimes you need a screwdriver to help work them off. I put an image below with them removed so you could see they are straight pins that hold them on. Be sure the power cord is unplugged.

When you go to get these parts the best thing to do is call around to some local appliance repair shops, ask them if they install compressors. If they do that will be the place to go. I do not expect you will get them for free but I can tell you that every time I install a compressor there are always extra of these parts in the box. I have a lot of them laying around and I would expect you would get the best price from someone who does that work. Those parts are the overload and start relay, the clicking is the overload. I know power is present at the overload because the fan is operating and they are wired on the same circuit.

If you found my answer satisfactory please login if you are not already logged in and please leave an ok or better rating. If you have any questions use the reply to expert link.

Thanks,
Barry

graphic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

now the fan is not working. all i see on the compressor is a little white box like plugged in and held by pressure clip. is that the part?

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Yes that is it, take off that clip and pull. The refrigerator has a defrost timer. It works just like a clock, it does not know that it probably does not need defrosting it just times it's way until 8 hours is up and shuts down to defrost. That will last less than 40 minutes.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have the white box off but cant get the wires that are plugged into it out. what is the trick, I do not want to force it

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Some have locks down inside the holes you have to use a pick to unlock them and others I have had to actually break the plastic to get them out.

Barry
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.