Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

GE artica side by side fridge/freezer model PSS25SGNABS Freezer

GE artica side by side fridge/freezer model PSS25SGNABS

Freezer started not keeping temp with a large frost pack blocking lower intake vent, fridge side was OK. Pulled freezer section open, found evep motor struggling to spin- no airflow.

Replaced evap motor- blows air fine now, cleaned condensor coils, verified condenser fan spins slowly (moves air...seems normal), condenser coils warm while running. leave the unit on for several days, fridge gets down to 37deg setpoint, freezer did get to 0deg once , but cannot get below 16deg 1/2 full of food. Fridge side took a few hours to get back to 37 once food was placed inside. Food side stays at 37 consistanly, freezer runs constantly and never gets below 16deg, makes ice.

What next? defrost thermostat? Defrost heater always on?
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

When you removed the rear wall were the coils lightly frosted in one section and heavily frosted in the other?

Is there a thin film of frost on that cover now?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Once I verified the fan was working, I put all the covers back on. I will have to remove the rear cover and see if the coils are as you describe.

The frost 'chunk' is no longer on the cover as the evap fan is now working. It blows cold air, just seemingly not enough.

Take a look and let me know John. Take your time I will be here.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Barry,

This is after running for several days attempting to make temp on the freezer side....

http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/jtkirb/media/GE%20fridge/IMG_20130529_202115_221_zps1d94dae4.jpg.html

Cover removed....

http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/jtkirb/media/GE%20fridge/IMG_20130529_205235_413_zpse6d19141.jpg.html

new evap fan is running just fine blowing air, so the frost was not expected.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I also tried the following found here:

http://www.appliance-repair-it.com/defrost-problem.html#Electronic

I measured the resistance of the heater at the control board as described above and had 21 ohms.

I also tested each thermistor at the J1 connector and had 13-15kohms on all 4.

John that is a coolant leak. When you see a pattern like that the reason the frost pattern does not go throughout the entire coilset is because there is not enough coolant to frost the entire coilset.

That means you will have to call for a coolant leak repair and the following questions are the ones that you should ask before accepting an agreement for an appliance repair.

Do you have a license to recover freon?
(They must be licensed its federal law) That way they just cannot come out without you knowing and charge you then leave because they do not have one.

What is the minimum you charge for a sealed system leak repair?

Please and lastly ask them to bring the tools needed to repair a leak. They may find the part of your unit that is leaking and be able to repair it that day, that could save a second trip charge. What some will do is tell you they have to bring the tools showing up without them and then charge twice for coming to your home twice, you want to try and avoid that.

This will give you some idea if you want to repair it or not.

If you have questions about my answer please click the "Reply To Link" arrowed in the picture below. I will be happy to explain anything that is not clear.

Also if you decide to give me a rating and have a problem doing that please let me know.

Thanks,
Barry