Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

GE Profile french door fridge - ice maker is not working

Customer Question

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

If your ice maker has a rocker switch for off and on look below that switch. Is that light solid and green? Not blinking?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

light is out

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Bonnie open the freezer door and hold the door light swtich does it come on then? If not flip the switch to the other postion, please let me know,

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

power switch is in I position, not O

power light ( if it's where I think it is - a black button below the power switch, does not turn green when I press it. It doesn't turn green if the power switch is in the O position either

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX is the status light indicator arrowed red in the image below. If it is not lit the board is bad in the ice maker and it will need to be replaced

To replace it loosen the 2 screws where the green arrows are pointing then lift the ice maker off the screws. Do not touch the bottom of the ice maker it could be hot and if it is it will burn your hand.

The connector arrowed yellow has 2 locks right at the tip of the arrow is one and the other is on the other side, squeeze those and pull. That will get the ice maker out.

Only install the ice maker I have linked below, there are others that will fit but this one is made for a bottom freezer only. That is the one you need, the others will costantly overflow your ice bin.

http://www.appliancezone.com/ShowProduct.aspx?ID=62487&r=br549

If you found my answer satisfactory please login if you are not already logged in and please leave an ok or better rating. If you have any questions use the reply to expert link.

Thanks,
Barry

graphic
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The part arrived but I can't figure how to get into the fridge to replace the part. the ice maker container is only about 14 inches wide and how can i reach around in there to unscrew the old part?

Thanks

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Bonnie what you need is a 1/4 inch socket with a screwdriver type handle to turn it. You have to actually feel it onto the screw with your finger, I have never been able to get into a position I could actually see the screw. Loosen it about 4 turns.

Also you may need to remove the front of the drawer to get in there.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

gotta get the tool then ill be back to you

thanks

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
I understand, take your time.

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ice maker now working. Many thanks!

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome Bonnie, thank you for the opportunity. Please return the next time you have a question.

Take care,
Barry