Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

Refrigerator Compressor Question...I have a GE profile model

Customer Question

Refrigerator Compressor Question...I have a GE profile model PFSS5NJASS fridge with Embraco VEGY 8H compressor, compressor doesn't do anything, no hum, no buzz, no click, not warm, not running at all, nothing. I'm getting 120v to the inverter, and seem to have voltage coming out of the inverter...there are 3 leads to compressor, so i'm not sure of proper way to test voltage there, getting 0.0v between leads, but i do get 77v from each lead when I go to ground screw. I've gone as far as reading the online forums will take me, time to ask an expert =)
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Is the compressor connected when you are measuring?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, was just testing off the open lead like I did when I tested for 120 coming into the inverter
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Connect it and have the refrigerator unplugged. Be all set to measure for ac voltage because the compressor will only try to start 8 times. Measure any 2 going to the compressor and you should get at least 80 volts. Let me know.

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
initially getting 15-17v, then drops to 6.5-6.7v then 0.0v
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Okay look on the board under the panel up on the wall there. Disconnect the 2 wire connector and set your meter to DC. What do you measure there?

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you referring to mother board? If so, only two pin connector i see gives me 11.5-12.5dcv
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX test. Look at the inverter and make sure you have the same voltage at the other end of that wire. If you do you will need the inverter, if not you will need to repair that wire. I have the inverter linked below for you.

http://www.appliancezone.com/ShowProduct.aspx?ID=28056&r=br549

If you found my answer satisfactory please login if you are not already logged in and please leave an ok or better rating. If you have any questions use the reply to expert link.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Same voltage, guess it's the inverter, thanks for the link....anything I should do to check the compressor before I replace the inverter?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
You can ohm it pin to pin and pin to ground. No reading to ground is good and all 3 pin to pin readings should match. I expect everything will be okay there but if its not let me know.

You are welcome.
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Compressor looks good, thanks for all your expertise, Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, thank you for the opportunity. Please return the next time you have a question.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One more q...this all started when I pulled the fridge out to clean behind it, when I pushed it back, I tried to get it back in same place. Could I have blocked air circulation by getting it too close to the wall and created excessive heat causing a problem? Wires & hoses create about a 1/2-3/4" space between fridge & back wall. It's in an enclosed cabinet, so other than right above the fridge, there are very few gaps for circulation.....
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
I doubt it, normally that would be a problem for a single speed compressor, varialble speed compressors do not run as hot. My parents had one enclosed like that for 14 or 15 years and it was a single speed, when I left it was still there so I really do not know how long it did last because they sold the house and the fridge stayed with it.

Thanks,
Barry
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Barry, got the inverter, but dcv connectors are slightly different, otherwise units look virtually identical...was going to splice the connector from my old inv. to the new, but thought I should ask the expert first
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Yes that will be okay, that is strange. I looked it up using the model number.

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Connectors were the same inside so I just swapped the short connector wires and presto!, working compressor....had to really pay attention to hear it start and feel it run, it's a quiet unit and hardly vibrates, starting to blow warm air off the coils now, I'm gonna go with it''s a done deal, button it up, get it out if the middle of the kitchen and watch the temp drop.... thanks again for your help
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, thank you for the opportunity. Give it 24 hours to get to normal and please return the next time you have a question.

Barry