Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

I have a maytag side by side refridge that is making a buzzing

I have a maytag side by side refridge that is making a buzzing sound. This is model msd-2655hew. Thanks
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Is the buzzing sound coming from the rear lower part outside of the refrigerator?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes it is. Rear lower.

Replace the overload and relay set on the side of the compressor. That is where the buzzing is coming from. I have the overload and relay set linked below.

Unplug the refrigerator. On the compressor pictured below the parts are mounted where the red arrow is pointing in the picture. The parts pull straight off, they fit tightly but they will pull off. Change the parts and wire it and plug it in, that will take care of it.

If you found my answer satisfactory please login if you are not already logged in and please leave an ok or better rating. If you have any questions use the reply to expert link.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is the buzzing a relay going out?

Yes it is, and when you pull it most times you can smell the burned components or it will rattle. The compressor is trying to start or starting for a bit but the contacts cannot maintain the connection and that is what you are hearing.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thankyou sir.

You are very welcome, thank you for the opportunity. I hope you and your family have a nice evening.