Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

I have a bottom mount Kenmore Refrigerator model no 596.65232404.

I have a bottom mount Kenmore Refrigerator model no 596.65232404. It is 3 yrs old. The freezer works fine but the refrigerator just stopped cooling. The damper works fine. What could be the problem?
ello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service. Please take your time and make the checks below.

First look in the freezer (even though it may be warm) at the rear inside wall, can you find a frosty spot anywhere? Sometimes you have to feel the wall as its difficult to see.

Check to see that the freezer fan is blowing steady air out of the vent in the freezer, is it?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, there is a thin layer of frost on the back wall by the vent.

Click the file below, scroll down halfway and read the instructions for testing. Run the S test. After you close the doors (you will see it in the instruction) wait 5 minutes and open the freezer door. Listen very close to the rear of the freezer inside. Can you hear a hiss or a pop every now and then like water dripping on something hot?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No can't hear any thing.

Wife did say she has been having to clean up water off floor before this started to happen.

I understand, look in the freezer floor. Is there a layer of ice on the floor there?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No ice on freezer floor

I am sorry for the delay Jim I was thinking. Did you recently see a lot of frost all over the top of the freezer food? Almost like snow?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My wife recently saw some frost on front door of freezer when there was water on floor. The frost lasted for about a week then disappeared. No frost on front door now just on back wall. No frost on food. Jim

I am not sure, I know the water is a clue but I just do not know where it came from. Try this and see if the refrigerator starts cooling beyond 14 days, I do not think there is a broken part.

1. Open drawer to fully open position.
2. Remove upper basket.
3. Remove screws one in each rail at the end of the rail.
4. Lift front of drawer up and out to remove drawer.
1. Remove screws inside plastic rail retainer.
2. Remove rails from retainer by depressing plastic tabs on back side of retainer.
3. Slide rails off of retainer.

Rack and Pinion Gear
1. Remove drawer assembly.
2. Extend drawer rails to full open position,remove rails
from retainer by depressing plastic tabs on back side
of retainer.
3. Slide rails, rack and pinion gear off of retainer.
4. Reverse procedure to reassemble.

If you have an ice maker that will need to be removed. There are usually 2 1/4 inch screws over the top of the ice maker and one underneath. Take those out and then follow the wire harness back to the rear inside wall and cut the zip tie if its there then unlock and pull to get the ice maker out.

Remove the parts with the red arrows in the diagram below.

Behind those parts is the evaporator coil that defrosts about every 10 hours. The drain for the defrost is in the floor directly under those coils, its just about the size of a dime. Dig out all the ice and clear that hole.

Once you get that done pour a little warm water down it to be sure its clear. If its not clear find something flexible and push down through it a couple of inches.

Go around behind your refrigerator and remove the lower panel then find the tube that comes out just over the drain pan. If there is a small amount of water in that pan you will be done. The water that drains into that pan evaporates.

The second way to do it but you need to unplug your refrigerator and open the doors overnight. The next day go behind the refrigerator and remove the lower covers. You will see a tube hanging from the bottom of the floor near the compressor. Take something plastic and push into that tube. Do not use anything else, that tube runs right up to aluminum coils that are easily pierced.

That will take care of it, please do not forget to rate my answer and ask if you have any questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I completely defrosted the coils behind the lower covering and put everything back together. The refrigerator seams to be working fine for now. Will keep an eye on it. Still don't know what went wrong in the first place. What do you think is going on If it happens again?
Jim were those coils heavily frosted?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, but it melted pretty quickly when I aimed a big fan on it.
I am sorry for the delay, I am having connection problems over here. I really do not think you need any parts, I suspect a door was left open a crack, but watch it after 10 days really close at the rear inside wall. The first sign will be a very thin coat of frost on the rear wall of the freezer. If you see that return and let me know. I will follow up with you Jim.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, I will let you know. JP

Thanks Jim I have a followup scheduled for the 9th of June. You should get an reminder in your email that day.