Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

Hi, I have a 42 inch built in kitchen aid refrigerator with

Customer Question

I have a 42 inch built in kitchen aid refrigerator with dispenser. It started with a pin-ping soft noise every other second. I tried a diagnostic and failed. Now the buttons do not seem to be working and i do not hear the fan. It was new in 2006
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Look in the fresh food section up near the top for model/serial sticker and post the model number. I need the model to be able to see the diagrams.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

KSSC42QMSO1

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX display still working?

Can you hear any sounds at all from the refrigerator?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The display is working. Electricity is on and I can hear the motor running.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX in the freezer (even though it may be warm) at the rear inside wall, can you find a frosty spot anywhere? Sometimes you have to feel the wall as its difficult to see.

Check to see that the freezer fan is blowing steady air out of the vent in the freezer, is it?

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Yes there is frost on the lower rear wall?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I can feel the air moving in the freezer and it is very cold. Some feeling of frost but wall is not iced over and frost does not come off on fingers.

I can't change the temperatures from what the displays rereading. hey were Freezer at zero and frig at 37. Now they are Freezer at -5 and frog at 34. Can youadvise how to change them back?

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
You should be able to push the temperature up button for each side and change them.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Jan try kicking the breaker off for 10 minutes and see if that will reset the control.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

For some reason, I pushed the up buttons for each side and this time it worked. Will we be able to keep this line of communication open for awhile just in case it decides to change again?

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
You may have had a button stuck or sticky inside. Yes you save this page to your favorites and you may post right here at anytime. My hours are 8 to 8, I am often on much earlier and a little later. If you post I will see it and respond, followups are free.

If you found my answer satisfactory please login if you are not already logged in and please leave an ok or better rating.
Thanks
Barry
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Post back here Jan, yesterday when you changed the temperatures was all that you did was to change them? You did not power off and power on?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no, I did not power off and on, just changed the temp settings and all was well the rest f the day and evening through this morning.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
I understand, give me a few minutes to get an instruction sheet for you, probably around 10 minutes.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Jan you will need to replace the temperature control below is a link to a file that will help you do that. Be sure the power is off when you change it. Change out the board, power on and set it where you want the temperatures.

This part is for if you are pushing a button and nothing changes at all on the display. I have also linked the part below for you.

CLICK HERE FOR THE FILE

CLICK HERE FOR THE PART

Please ask if you have questions,
Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Isn't there anything else i can do? I live 90 miles from Phoenix and will lose everything in freezer and fridge!

The display changes, but changes back. It is lit and I can hear the electricity running.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Take a look in the freezer, at the lower rear wall, is there frost on that wall. Also is the fan blowing in the freezer. It may be changing but then reverting to show the actual temperature.

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

At 4:45 pm the temps were 14 freezer and 48 fridge

Now at 5:05 they are 7 Freezer and 45 fridge.

This happened yesterday, so could it be a pattern?

Could I have too much stuff in the freezer?

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
No its not the amount of food you have in the freezer, I think somewhere there is a fan that stops operating. Either of the 2 could cause it. There is one in the freezer and one on the top. Can you feel air at the top and in the freezer?

Don't order that part, I did not realize the numbers were changing when you pushed the button. They are supposed to change when you push them but then after a few seconds then it is supposed to show the actual temperature inside.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I feel cold air moving in the freezer and if you mean the grate above the freezer, I do feel warm air coming out there. I took off the face plate to feel it

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Yes that is where. Have you heard any unusual noises like a click or a buzz?

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.

Okay watch it and make sure the temperature keeps dropping. I suspect it will, check it every hour or longer.

This is what I think may be happening and your going to need to catch it. There is a regular defrost cycle, the refrigerator will shut off, defrost the coils in the freezer and then turn on again to the cooling cycle. I think it is staying off too long. So tomorrow around 3 try to watch it and see if it shuts off and stays off long enough to warm the refrigerator. It should not do that, the freezer will warm a little, 3 or 4 degrees.

If you can catch it I will know what to do. Also if you catch it make sure the numbers are lit on the display and that the buttons will change the numbers.

Barry

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The temps are still dropping. In fact, the freezer is where it needs to be right now at 0. I will keep checking and thanks for now.If it is off too long, what is the fix for that?

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
The main control board, it is a job, it is on the top and I have an instruction sheet for that as well. It will take the fresh food side longer because air needs to move over from the freezer to the fresh food side.

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Please send the instruction sheet for the main control board. Is it usual for this to happen after only six years?

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Normally they last a lot longer but a power surge or power going off is hard on them.

CLICK HERE FOR THE FILE

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That does explain it then. Thanks

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome Jan, if you need me give me a shout. My normal hours are 8 to 8 eastern time but I am always on much earlier and usually about an hour or so later.

Thanks,
Barry