Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

Samsung RS267LABP side by side refrigerator. Problem began

Customer Question

Samsung RS267LABP side by side refrigerator.
Problem began yesterday with Ice Maker not producing ice, use reset button to dump ice tray. Also water dispenser would not run water. Read online to turn temp. up to 38 in refrigerator because water holder may be frozen. After a couple of hours, water began to flow. Then noticed the freezer temp began to rise and and would not cool down. Refrigerator side is cooloing fine, but freezer side is not working at all.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service. Please take your time and make the checks below.

First look in the freezer (even though it may be warm) at the rear inside wall, can you find a frosty spot anywhere? Sometimes you have to feel the wall as its difficult to see.

Check to see that the freezer fan is blowing steady air out of the vent in the freezer, is it?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There is a little bit of ice on the inside back wall or cover. There is no air coming from the vents. The inside seems to be getting colder inside. The outside reading shows 66 degrees.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Ken, the frost that you do see is in about a foot an a half high on that wall from the bottom rear?

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes but very little. I just removed the botom drawers and I can feel very little air coming out the vents at the bottom but not at the top.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Try holding the freezer door light switch off. Does the fan come on then?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes it did but no air is coming from the top vents

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Does it appear you would have a difficult time removing that section of the wall with the frost on it?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No It looks like it has 4 screws to remove I'll get started on it

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Okay I will type out what to do. I expect you will find a ton of frost behind that wall. You should turn off and unplug the refrigerator.

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

okay

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay I removed the back cover. It has a electric plug still attached. I have not removed it yes. It does have ice on the back coils, What next?

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Ken one of the 2 parts below is bad if it is not defrosting. The thermostat part number DA47-10160H and is linked below.

www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Defrost-Thermostat/DA4710160H/1488655?RCAID=1000064

graphic
If you have an ohm meter you can test this part. This part must be cold. Set a meter to any ohm setting while the part is cold. Put a probe in each end of the wire connector there and your meter should show continuity just like touching the probes of the meter together. If it shows that way then it is good. If it does not it is bad.

The second part is the thermistor. Same test except your looking for it to show no change when you test it with the probes. If you get no change it is bad. Part number DA32-00029D and it is linked just below, also this is a similar picture, it may not be exact but close.
www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Thermistor/DA3200029D/2030316?RCAID=1000064
graphic
Both of these parts are attached to your freezer coils with the frost. To get your freezer cooling for about 10 days take a hair dryer and defrost the coils, put the cover back up and it will work normally. That will give you time to get the part installed that is bad.

If you found my answer satisfactory please login if you are not already logged in and please leave an ok or better rating. If you have any questions use the reply to expert link.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm looking for the second part. I see the first one in the coils, but do not see where the thermistor is located. Do I remove and replace with new ones once I get them.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry for the delay Ken, it took me a few minutes to find a picture. They should be where the green and blue arrows are pointing.

Barry
graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

They have plastic ties around them. Will I need to replace all the ties. Plus the thermistor looks to be attached to the coil with a metal clip?

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Yes you will need to retie the wires and parts. The metal clip either slides off or will pull off.

Barry
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

One last question. If I run into a problem installing the parts, do I still get help from justanswers using my password XXXXX do I need to submit another question for this repair?

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Save this page to your favorites and you may post right here at anytime. My hours are 8 to 8, I am often on much earlier and a little later. If you post I will see it and respond, followups are free for 30 days.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. I will try and find the parts locally, that way I can fix it quickly. Shuold I just go ahead a replace both at the same time. I didn't have a ohm meter.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
I would try just the part with the green arrow, really it could be either but that one is the most common to fail. Part DA32-00029D.

You are welcome Ken, thank you for the opportunity.
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you and I hope you have a great Memorial Day!

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
You too Ken, you and your family have a nice Holiday.

Barry