Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

My fridge is not cooling. There is ice poking out of the holes

My fridge is not cooling. There is ice poking out of the holes in the back wall. Is it the defroster timer. If so how do I replace it. How do I remove the interior back panel.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Which section is the frost in, the top?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

On the interior back wall there are 6 small holes. There was ice coming out all 6 holes. The fan was making noise and then stopped altogether. I uses the hairdryer to melt the ice and now the fridge is running but is not as cold as it should be. A friend had this problem a few years ago and said he thinks the defrost timer at the coil may not be working and should be replaced

Thanks Glenn, your refrigerator has no defrost timer. It has a circuit board and defrost sensors. If the freezer section is cooling okay then the circuit board is good. Replace the defrost sensor. The sensor is located behind that wall and is attached to the top of those coils.

Remove all of the shelves then all of the screws in the back of the fresh food section. There is one hidden screw at the top of one of the shelf hangar strips. Remove the plastic cover at the top of that strip with a small screw driver and then you can remove that screw. That will get the rear wall off. Melt all of the frost then replace that sensor.

If you found my answer satisfactory please login if you are not already logged in and please leave an ok or better rating. If you have any questions use the reply to expert link.