Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

I have a GE PSS26SGRC SS refrigerator. It has been having

I have a GE PSS26SGRC SS refrigerator. It has been having problems regulating the temperature inside the refrigerator and freezer. Right now the temperature is 18 in the freezer and 45 in the refrigerator. The control panel is lit up, but the buttons do not change the temperature. The fan is on. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and the compressor came on for a little while then turned off.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Which fan was operating, the one by the compressor?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The one that comes on when you close the refrigerator door.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Check the one by the compressor, with the fan inside operating is that one operating also?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, that fan is operating

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Al when you press a button to change the temperature does it change for a few seconds?

Also take a look at the lower rear inside wall of the freezer, is there the slightest amount of frost on that wall?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The buttons will change the temperature to "Set Temperature", but then nothing happens, It stays at the same internal temperature described above. I have the temp in the refrigerator set to 37, but the display shows the internal temp is 47

There is frost all along the back wall of the freezer.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Al there is the problem. Its not self defrosting. Do you have an ohm meter?

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Great, give me a few minutes to get an image for you.

Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet. Around behind the refrigerator about 2 feet from the floor on the right is a smaller panel. Take that off. Disconnect the connector on the main board, its blue and arrowed red in the picture below. Set your meter to ohms and put one lead from your meter in the blue connector (CENTER HOLE) where it was connected to the board. With the other lead from your meter rotate through the 2 prongs on the power cord that was in the wall outlet, skip the ground. How many of the 2 show continuity?

Thanks,
Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, I did what you asked. The meter shows 0 ohms on both prongs.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the same on your meter as if you did not test at all?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
First you can put all that together but leave it unplugged. In the freezer where the frost is that panel comes off. If you will remove that panel you can defrost the coils behind it and your refrigerator will start cooling normally. That will last about 10 days, then you will need to defrost it again. The frost is blocking the air flow through those cold coils.

The defrost heater is bad, the defrost heater is located at the bottom of those coils and has 2 screws holding it there. There is a pink and a blue wire attached to it. When you get your new part unplug the refrigerator and swap it. Those wire connections fit tightly, usually I need needle nose pliers to get them off. Be careful because that heater is a glass tube, get a good grip on it before pulling a wire connector off. I have linked the heater just below for you.

www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Defrost-Heater-Assembly/WR51X10055/914088?RCAID=1000064

If you found my answer satisfactory please login if you are not already logged in and please leave an ok or better rating. If you have any questions use the reply to expert link.

Thanks,
Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE

graphic
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.