The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

Maytag side by side MSD2732CRS not cooling.

Maytag side by side MSD2732CRS not cooling. No ice on interior coils, defrost system looks okay. Evaporator fan inside is running. In the back side, condenser coils are not clogged with dust and condenser fan is running. Nothing near the compressor is clicking and compressor is not starting. Did not check to see if starter cap is shorted (no ohmmeter at hand).

Compressor is cool, not warm, and not running.

(post ask edit ) I think I see the problem.  Starter relay on compressor is probably bad.  I disconnected and the terminal where the white wire connects to the relay is burned on the corner.  Looks like a solid state, not wire-wound  relay.  Now if only I can get a relay and starter cap on Memorial Day.

Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 1 year ago.

Hi. I'm Smitty. I am a professional appliance repair consultant here to help you diagnose, and repair, your appliance.

Sorry for the delay replying to you. I just logged in and noticed your question was still unanswered.

Please unplug the unit for about a minuet. Plug it back in and notice if there are any sounds coming from the compressor. It may take a minuet for the compressor to start but it should start almost immediatly.

If it doesnt start please let me know along with any noises you might hear.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Smitty, thanks for being up so late.

I reconnected the relay and starter cap after looking at them and re-applied power. The condenser fan started up as did the evaporator fan inside, but the compressor is not doing anything. Additionally on the overload relay one of the leads appeared burned (white lead).

When I shorted the starter cap there was no spark.

Give the relay a shake. Can you hear anything ratteling around inside?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Nothing rattling inside.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Double checked, the relay does not rattle. Don't have my ohmmeter at home -it's at my office, else I'd do a scratch test on the compressor to see if anything is shorted to the case on it.

I'm thinking I have a chance with the relay - only I don't think I'll be able to get one on Memorial Day.

Okay, Rob the relay is probably ok then. I hate to say it but this is the point where you will need a volt ohm meter to test the system with. You need to determine what the compressor windings ohm out at, or at least make sure that power is getting to the cap/relay.

One moment and I will get you the ohms value for the compressor windings

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you - I will give you a good rating just for being willing to answer at this time of night on Memorial Day!

I can run to my office to get the ohmmeter. It's just a few minutes away. If you'll give me the values I can let you get some sleep. Thanks again for your timely help.

Rob, Im not going to bed that quick. I can stick with you for a while.

The ohms values are 3.33 +/- 15% on the run windings and 4.28 +/- 15% on the start.

Go get the meter and Ill be here when you get back.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I've recorded the values. It will take me 20 mins to get my ohmmeter. Will respond once I have values on the compressor.

Ok Ill be here. Here is a diagram of the compressor contacts.

graphic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay, check the compressor.

Bad news - I'm showing a dead short from both run and start to common and also a short from common to the case as well as from run and start to case. Looks like compressor windings are shorted.

This is a 10 year old fridge. Guess we will just replace it.

Sorry to hear that, Rob. At least we didnt have to spend the night testing out a bunch of different possibilities. I had a look in the service manual and the diagnostics flow chart is a nightmare once you get past the basic checks such as this.

If it would have been like that you probably would have a copy of the manual and a hardy good luck!

Just kidding. I would have stuck it out in any case.

You have a good day off tomorrow.

Best, Smitty

Experience: 30 years repairing appliances