Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

I have a Frigidaire fsc23lr5jml, I just changed the motherboard,

I have a Frigidaire fsc23lr5jml, I just changed the motherboard, the lights and everything is on now, but its not cooling, what should be checked next?

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Has your new board been in longer than 40 minutes and the temperature settings on?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I adjusted the temp settings to colder and coldest and nothing has happened. There are no error messages, the compressor sounds like it may be running but i'm not sure. I removed the cardboard panel on the back to look at the compressor and wiring. There is a loose plug that is coming out of a harness but it doesn't look like there is anywhere to plug it. It looks like it may be extra, but other than that, everything looks normal. I took the fridge out of storage, it worked for 2 days, and than nothing. I figured it was from moisture maybe, so change the motherboard.

Thanks Seth, the plug could be a test port.

First look in the freezer (even though it may be warm) at the rear inside wall, can you find a frosty spot anywhere? Sometimes you have to feel the wall as its difficult to see.

Check to see that the freezer fan is blowing steady air out of the vent in the freezer, is it?

If the freezer fan is operating and you found no frost on the rear inside wall of the freezer go around behind the unit and remove the lower panel. Touch the compressor on the top. Is the compressor hot, warm or cold and is it vibrating? And have you heard a buzz or click from back there?

Is the fan back there working as well?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No frost spots in the freezer, fan is working, compressor is vibrating, warm but not hot. There is a click when I turned it back on from "display mode" to functioning mode. (I had tried that to see if it would help)

I understand, there is a fan at the rear was that one operating?

Also how long in your opinion have you heard at least a fan running?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The fan that I know is running for sure is the one next to the compressor in the back, (I can see it). Im pretty sure its been running since I turned the unit on after changing the board. The vents in the freezer wall seem to have a very slight air flow coming out but its very hard to detect.

Okay your going to need to remove the lower section of the inside rear wall in the freezer. Behind there are coils, are those coils lightly frosted from top to bottom? Half of them frosted or none at all? Take your time I will be here.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No frost, not even cool to touch.

If its ran more than an hour there is a coolant leak. That means you will have to call for a coolant leak repair and the following questions are the ones that you should ask before accepting an agreement for an appliance repair.

Do you have a license to recover freon?
(They must be licensed its federal law) That way they just cannot come out without you knowing and charge you then leave because they do not have one.

What is the minimum you charge for a sealed system leak repair?

Please and lastly ask them to bring the tools needed to repair a leak. They may find the part of your unit that is leaking and be able to repair it that day, that could save a second trip charge. What some will do is tell you they have to bring the tools showing up without them and then charge twice for coming to your home twice, you want to try and avoid that.

This will give you some idea if you want to repair it or not. If you found my answer satisfactory please login if you are not already logged in and please leave an ok or better rating. If you have any questions use the reply to expert link.