Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

We have a Whirlpool front loading washing machine Model GHW9150PW0

We have a Whirlpool front loading washing machine Model GHW9150PW0 with a door latch failure with clothes inside the washer. Turning it off and on doesn't help. Turning the breaker on and off doesn't help. Service centers are closed. Is there anything I can do myself?
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

You may be able to manually unlock the door, is there water in the machine now?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No water. Won't start with a door latch failure.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX try unplugging it and plugging it back in to see if that will clear the door latch error. If it does not you can open the door and get the clothes out. Look at the diagram I have arrowed at the bottom. In that panel there are some screws. Unplug the washer and remove those screws between the door and the bottom panel. You can then remove that panel.

Next reach up inside and pull the latch. I have an image of the latch and an arrow drawn to the part to pull. That part will be on the bottom of the latch. That will get the door open.

In order to repair the latch you will need to replace it or get it replaced. I have it linked below for you if you wanted to try and do it yourself.

If you found my answer satisfactory please login if you are not already logged in and please leave an ok or better rating. If you have any questions use the reply to expert link.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you want me to try the unplug and replug while you wait? (We have tried and we cannot open the door.)

In the recent past it has failed to latch and WD40 has cleared it up. This situation, however, is the opposite.

Sure I don't mind I will be here.

Have you tried pulling that loop I have arrowed in the image?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Unplugging and replugging doesn't work. Let me try the loop.

You need to access the loop from the bottom just like I described i thanks.Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Trying, need smaller phillips screwdriver. Looking.

It is fine, take your time I am going to be here a while. Let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Got it open. Pulled latch. Clothes out. THANKS.

Great, you and your family have a good rest of the weekend and thank you for the opportunity to help. Please return when you have another question.