Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

hi, I have a Samsung over the range microwave. model number

Customer Question

hi, I have a Samsung over the range microwave. model number SMH9207ST. It no longer powers on. I have checked the outlet and it is fine. I first thought it was the fuse, so I replaced them.. still nopower. any suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good afternoon, Is this completely dead ? no inside lights or digital readout ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes. it is completely dead.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay these have whats called a thermal fuse in them. Thermal Fuse DE47-20059A Main Product Viewwhen these blow the whole microwave goes dead like in your case. this is usually located behind the vent in the top of the microwave, although i cannot get the diagrams. heres a link to show you how to test it once you find it. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Thermal-Fuse/DE4720059A/2079766?modelNumber=SMH9207ST if you find its bad you can order it at the same link if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Does it only have one themal fuse?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
yes there are other thermostats but there not the thermal fuse theres only one. the other thermostats control the fans and if the magnetron overheats the one on the side of that can blow but the microwave will still work just wont heat.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok. I will test it out and get back to you.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay good luck and thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hello again,

to replace the other thermostats, is it the same part?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
no there are different ones, they are not the same. click this link for all the thermostats.and electrical parts http://www.repairclinic.com/Samsung-Microwave-Model-SMH9207ST-ID-1068604-Parts?s=b160a6d1068604e?RCAID=1000065
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi ,

I finally figured out which part was not working after testing all the fuses. The fuse on the top on the microwave by the vent is working fine. There are two things that look like fuses behind the control panel and one of them isn't working. I'm not sure which part it is that I should order.

Should I get

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Thermal-Fuse/DE4720059A/2079766?modelNumber=SMH9207ST or

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Oven-Thermostat/DE4720007B/2079732?modelNumber=SMH9207ST

or

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Thermostat/DE4720034A/2079750?modelNumber=SMH9207ST

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

On the back of the fuse, it says the following:

1007

KSD-40LC

70

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Good morning, the top one (first link) is the thermal fuse.
Thermal Fuse DE47-20059A
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
I hope you received my answer. we have been having site issues, If you did please rate me 3 or above so I get credit for helping you ,thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

Thank you for all your help. I received the thermal fuse today and plugged it in. The microwave turns on but now my vent wont turn off...do you know why that is? I left it on for about 45 minutes to see if it would go off..but I am unable to turn it off..it only goes on low/med/high settings and wont turn off. Also if I rate your response, will it close this thread?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

wow,okay. there may be a bad thyermostat for the fan also. obviuosly changing that one fixed the no power problem so thats solved. did you by chance take any of them out and mix them up ? No rating me doesnt close the thread you can come back all you want.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
SO i tried to mix them up and the exhaust still won't turn off. Which part is the thermostat?
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
just behind the control board on the floor is usually where the fan thermostat is located, it senses the heat in the control panel and turns the fan on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure if I found the right part. Could you show me what it looks like?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
it looks like this one .

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just tested that and its fine..do you know what else it could be?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
how do you mean its fine ? it has continuity ? its not supposed to unless the microwave it hot and running. then that kicks in the fan. so if your testing the correct one with the microwave off it shouldn't have continuity.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It has continuity. There are 4 parts that look like that in the microwave..its hard to tell the thermal fuse apart from the thermostat. All of them have continuity.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Its difficult for me to say which one controls the fan , I don't have a wiring diagram for that. the only thing you can do at this point is to remove one wire of one of them one at a time tape it so it doesn't short and plug the microwave in to see if the fans still running. (not the thermostat you replaced however) the other ones. once you find the one thermostat that stops the fan from running it should be the bad one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The one part that originally did not have continuity and the one you told me to replace (thermal fuse) is the one that isn't working properly I think. I took one wire out of that one and taped it and left the other wire plugged in and then turned on the microwave and the vent was working fine. So did i order the wrong part?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Oh I'm not sure but it sounds like it. but if the one you replaced didn't have continuity and the microwave didn't run its sounds like that was the thermal fuse and that did need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So should I order the thermostat and replace it with that instead? or should i just run it the way it is?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
you said the vent was working fine. is it the vent that you control for taking the air out or is it the cooling fan in the control panel thats not working ? I'm a little confused at this point .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So when I put in the new thermal fuse that I ordered the microwave powered on but the vent (not the cooling fan) wouldn't turn off. Then I tried taking one of the two wires out of the new thermal fuse that I put in and the vent didn't automatically turn on and I was able to control the vent settings..so the microwave works fine with one of the wires out...

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
thats strange . I'm not sure to be honest, does it actually heat also ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yeah just tested it with a glass of water... it was heating just fine

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay and when you hook that back up the vent fan runs ? are you sure its the vent fan and not the control fan ? I'm mystified
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yeah when I hook it back up with one of the wires out..the vent fan works fine and doesn't constantly run. I'm pretty sure its the vent fans because they are on top of the microwave and the cooling fan is inside.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So i`m not sure what to do next..

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
well I just don't want it to burn out if it was the cooling fan.if the cooling fan is running I guess try using the microwave for a while and see what happens. I just don't know to be honest. I've never seen that before.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok I'll use it a few times and keep an eye on the cooling fan... if it doesn't work... should I replace the part with a thermostat instead?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
yeah you will need the number off the thermostat.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What number?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
if theres no part number on it you cant look it up. i have no idea which thermostat it is, they are all different.