Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

I just changed the smart filter in my GE Monogram and it is

I just changed the smart filter in my GE Monogram and it is leaking? What do I need to do to stop it or shut off the water? Thank you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Look in the fresh food section up near the top for model/serial sticker and post the model number. I need the model to be able to see the diagrams.

Are you able to see the area that is leaking? Is it actually leaking from the filter the part the filter attaches too?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The model # XXXXX XXXXX

It is leaking directly from the filter.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Look on the filter mount with the filter removed. There should be 2 o-rings there. Inspect those very well. Does one look like it may have gotten a cut?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Where would I turn the water off so I can take the filter out?

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
There is a check valve, when you remove the filter there should be no water, it should stop. Is that not happening?

There is a water line connected to your refrigerator, you will need to follow that line to the nearest cutoff.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The water does not stop when I remove the filter. I would need to pull the fridge out to find the water line. Is there a break or something that need to be released before I can pull it out?

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
No its automatic, it has either got pushed up inside the hole it pops out from or it has broken.

It is the part I have arrowed below and it should be out like that to stop the water flow. There is not a standard place for an installer to put a cutoff. There could be a valve or it could be connected to any water line anywhere. The only way to find it if you do not know where it is to follow the water line. Look under the sink and see if maybe it is connected to a clamp around a water line.

Thanks,
Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am hesitant to take the filter out again and the water doesn't stop. It appears that the water supply is in the back and I need to pull the fridge out. Something needs to be done before I can pull it out. Can you please help?

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Turn off the water to the house, open all the faucests then remove the filter and see if maybe that part is pushed up in the hole. Can you do that?

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sure - I will try that

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Great, turning on all the faucets should keep most of the water out of the refrigerator after you turn the water off.

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did that and checked and the part is not pushed in. When turning the water back on it is still leaking. Maybe it is an issue with the O-rings. I will most likely need to have somebody come out.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
I understand, that on a smaller refrigerator would be a repair you could make. On that one it is a big job, you might try your old filter and see if that one leaks while installed. It probably will. That housing where the filter screws on will have to be changed it definitely should not leak with no filter so it is damaged there around that valve I arrowed for you. . What makes it a big job is there are 2 lines that come with it, those go out through a wall and connect to the water inlet valve.

If you found my answer satisfactory please login if you are not already logged in and please leave an ok or better rating. If you have any questions use the reply to expert link.

Thanks,
Barry

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, thank you for the opportunity. You and your family have a nice rest of the weekend,

Barry
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.