Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

I have a frigidaire front load washer, model# XXXXX

Customer Question

I have a frigidaire front load washer, model# XXXXX for some reason the cold wash setting runs hot water, I've checked and re-checked the hot and cold water connections and run the diagnostic tests, checked the hot/cold/bleach solenoids and they're all working properly, the only other thing i can think of is the control board, but i can't confirm it. Any help would be appreciated
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Jon : Hello
Jon : my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an authorized frigidaire service tech and I can help you today.
Customer :

Hi, that would be greatly appreciated

Jon : this is actually an easy diagnosis. So lets start off with the easy first. Even though you have checked once before, lets check again the fill hoses. If you can pull the machine out to the point where you can see the back of the machine that would help. Pull it out and take a look at where each water fill hose is hookd up to the valve.
Customer :

okay

Jon : There will be a H next to the hot water side of the valve. And a C next to the cold water side. Back track the hot and cold fill hoses back to the water supply in the wall by your machine. Is the hot hose going to the hot side of the water supply? And the same of the cold?
Jon : be sure to feel the hose if you are not sure what side is hot and cold on your house supply. A lot of the time the hot is not on the left like it should be.
Jon : Check that and tell me what you find.
Customer :

i have the hot line going to the valve marked hot going to the yellow inlet on the diverter with the red solenoid

Customer :

and the cold is going to the vavle marked cold with the blue inlet going to the blue solenoid

Jon : Yes that is correct. But from your house supply are you sure the hot is not and cold is cold? Did you feel the hoses or take them off and run them to be sure?
Customer :

i have already disconnected the hoses and run them into a bucket to be sure they are marked properly for hot and cold... the

Customer :

they are

Jon : Ok. Sorry. Just wanted to be sure of that first.
Jon : now if you put you washer to a cold fill and cold rinse cycle and start it does it fill with cold water?
Jon : if you have the washers top cover off and meter handy, you can check the voltage to the cold solenoid wires during a fill to make sure the wires are connected right and recieving full voltage.
Customer :

no it starts with hot right away, im sure of this because i shut off the supply while it was filling and the flow into the washer stopped

Jon : ah. Ok then do me a favor and switch the fill hoses for me. Just to do the quickest test here. Take the end of the hot and cold from the supply at the house and swap them. Then set the washer again and check.
Customer :

thats the interesting part, i did the diagnostic test step by step and everything appears to work just fine\

Jon : this is the easiest way to check the hot and cold water supply
Customer :

k, give me a minute

Jon : yes. That happens all the time. Diagnostics are less then reliable if the problem is not mechanical. The computer will not pick up this kind of failure.
Jon : you got it. I'll be here.
Jon : How are you making out with swapping the fill hoses?
Customer :

okay i've got them swapped and started a cycle

Customer :

now i've got cold water coming in the inlet marked for hot

Jon : okay. But what did you set the washer for. Hot or cold?
Customer :

cold

Jon : ok. S you are getting cold water when calling for cold water, correct? Never mind what water is coming through what inlet.
Customer :

correct

Jon : ok. Good.
Jon : D you have the top of the washer off so you can see the solenoids to the water valve?
Customer :

i realize that was the goal, but does that mean my washer is marked incorrectly

Customer :

yes i do

Customer :

i just ran and grabbed my meter as well

Jon : possibly. That is what awe are going to check now.
Jon : ok good.
Jon : Standing in front of the machine with water dispenser and valve on your left, what colors are the solenoids from left to right?
Jon : there should be three
Customer :

blue green red

Jon : ok. What color are the wires that go to each color solenoid?
Customer :

blue = purple & black/red

Customer :

green= tan & black/red

Customer :

red= red & black/red

Jon : ok.
Jon : Now there should be a plastic cap or cover over each set of wires that would go over the wires as there are on the solenoids. What color is each of thoses?
Jon : they should match the color of the solenoid valves, do they?
Customer :

they are color coded to each solenoid

Jon : ok. Good. And they are wired color coded now, correct?
Customer :

yes

Jon : ok.
Jon : do you still have your fill hoses swapped now? The hot going to the cold side of the water valve and the cold going to the hot?
Customer :

yes

Jon : ok. Good. Here is what we are going to do to verify if everything is markd correctly
Jon : take out your meter and set it to ac voltage. And first remove the cold solenoid wires. Those are the wires connected to the blue colored solenoid. Put the leads from your meter into each wire of the wires to the solenoid and put washer on a cold fill and rinse then hit start. If you have full 110 volts to the wires going to the cold water solenoid then that is good. Ad if the wires are off then obviously we should not get any water.
Jon : try that now and tell me what you get?
Customer :

k

Customer :

i got 110 v. in the connector, and i got water coming in

Jon : Ok. So that means that you had kept the wires connected to the solenoids then, correct?
Customer :

no i unplugged the connector and put my leads into it, and water came in the red solenoid

Jon : Ah. Ok. And the washer was set for cold though, correct?
Customer :

yes, set for cold

Jon : Ok. D this for me.
Jon : take the connector from the red and blue solenoids and swap them.
Customer :

okay

Customer :

done

Jon : then again set for cold cold and start. And see if you have full voltage at blue solenoid with wires off the solenoid. You should not have water coming in.
Jon : oh. Wait. At this point put the fill hoses bck in correct spots. Hot to hot and cold to cold.
Customer :

ya i was gonna ask

Jon : Let me know what you get.
Customer :

im confused, do you want the connectors swapped and hooked up to the solenoids or just one swapped??

Jon : yes swap th connectors you had from the blue and red.
Customer :

kk

Jon : They are double connectors, correct? The blue has a blue head to the wires? And the red has a red head to the wires? Swap them for me please.
Customer :

you got it

Jon : thanks. And you re doing great. We are almost done here and we will know exactly what is going on.
Customer :

im getting 110 v. on both the red and blue connectors

Jon : ok wait. Just to be clear here. This is what your fill valve should look like now. The blue solenoid should have red wired head plastic coverd wires on it. And the red should have the blue.
Customer :

yup, that is what i have

Jon : and when you have the washer set to a cold fill and cold rinse you should be checking the red wires hooked to the blue cold solenoid.
Jon : how are we doing?
Customer :

i have been setting the the cycle to "rinse/spin" , "coldcold" and i was checking the red&black/red wires in the red connector which are connected to the blue solenoid, I also checked the purple&black/red wires in the blue connected which are connected to the red solenoid

Customer :

damn that took longer to write that i expected

Jon : yes. That is good as far as for the wires. But of you are setting the washer to a rinse spin cycle it will only fill with cold. So just wanted you to know that. Wich is ok since we are checking the cold now.
Jon : for the next time we check the hot please set the washer to a regular cycle and start from the beginning of a new cycle with initial fill.
Customer :

ok

Jon : ok. So when you had the washer set to a cold fill you should find that you have no voltage to the wires going to the cold solenoid now?
Jon : since the cold solenoid wires are the wires that are for the hot valve.
Jon : is that what you find?
Customer :

no i have voltage on both sets of wires, 110 v.

Jon : ok. You shouldn't. At this point you should only have voltage to the wires to the blue cap if set for the cold fill.
Jon : if you are finding that you have full voltage to both the cold and hot wires then the board is bad.
Customer :

ya i know, that is why its filling with hot when i have it set to cold

Jon : Exactly.
Jon : when set to cold you should only have the cold water solenoid activated.
Customer :

okay, so do i have to replace the entire board, or can i do component replacement

Jon : so if you have hot and cold or just hot coming in when set to cold the board is sending the voltage to the wrong part of the water valve.
Jon : no, unfortunately you can't just replace parts of the board. You need to replace the whole thing.
Customer :

that sucks

Jon : Let me get you part info. And please wire the solenoids back to each color and make sure the cold hose is to the cold side of the valve and vise versa for hot.
Customer :

you have any good connections on boards that arent half the price of a new washer?

Jon : be right back. I'll get you the part number for the board and a number and website to a place where you can order it cheaply.
Customer :

PS2330930 "partselect" $210.86 ?

Jon : My connection has it for a little more then $150
Jon : and I never use part select. They always over price their parts. As you can see.
Customer :

thats why i asked you

Jon : Here is the part number for the control board. It is part numberNNN-NN-NNNN And it can be ordered by calling 1-877-821-4170 or by visiting their website at http://applianceassociatesli.partsquik.com/.
Customer :

sorry if i sound overconfident, i work in the service and parts industry myself,

Jon : PICK would call them. It is way easier. Just make sure you give them that part number I have you above. They will send the part out to you quickly.
Customer :

thats awesome, thank you very much

Customer :

do they deliver to canada?

Jon : Sorry. Above it was supposed to say, I would call. It's easier. Stupid autocorrect.
Jon : yes. They also have parts warehouses in Canada. A few actually.
Customer :

perfect

Jon : it is the largest parts distributors in the country.
Jon : i do a lot of work with them and they give me great deals. And for my customers I give them that number and it is like you are using my account. So essentially I am passing off my discount to you. But be sure you call that number so you get the best pricing available.
Jon : You are very welcome. Glad I could help you out.
Customer :

well thanks again for your help Jon, i think i can handle it from here

Jon : if you feel that I have helped to answer your questions please be sure to positively rate my performance below this chat now with ok service or better rating. This is the only way that I get credit for helping you from the website.
Jon : And if you have more questions please get back to me here at any time and I will help you for no additional charge.
Customer :

already done

Customer :

you're the man Jon

Jon : nah. Your the man. You did all the work. I just helped.
Customer :

fair enough,

Customer :

you have a good night

Customer :

and a good weekend

Jon : Just please remember to rate my performance now. The money you have paid to get the question listed on the question page was just a deposit to the website. I don't get credit until you accept my answer. And to do that you have to rate me positively below this chat now. I know the website is a little confusing. They are working on it.
Customer :

not to worry bud, top marks for you

Customer :

i'll send you a message if i need any more help

Customer :

i gotta go eat before my wife kills me though

Customer :

take care and keep up the good work

Jon : if you ever have any other appliance questions please feel free to come back to me at http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-jon-grella/ and ask your question in the box below my profile picture. This is my own profile page here with the website. If you ask you question directly to me, not only will you get a clear and direct quality answer, it will be correct and answered quickly. You save the time of having the question listed on the question page and having other experts skip over the question.
Jon : just save the link above to your favorites or bookmarks for easy access. And if you ever need me again for this question, please remember that you can come back to me at any time and I will help you more for no additional charge.
Customer :

its already copied and pasted

Jon : have a good night and weekend to you as well. Hopefully it won't be a wash out like it will be for me in New York.
Customer :

bye jon

Jon : have a good one. And thanks again.
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Adam,Thank you for the positive rating and very generous bonus. It is greatly appreciated. Should you need any other help or have any other questions with this machine please feel free to get back to me here at any time and I will help you more for no additional charge.Please also come back and let me know how you make out with replacing the control board.Thanks again and have a good holiday.