Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

See prior details.

See prior details.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

What are you repairing? Do you know the model number? All that showed up was see prior details.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'll try again: I first sent a two-paragraph explanation of our problem to a Sears service---looks like that got dropped.

So: We have a 3 year old Samsung 29 Sq Ft refrigerator, Model RFG297AAPN. I opened the door about one and one-half hours ago, and found the light and cold power out, although the front panel was functioning normally. After pushing buttons on the panel, it changed to "PC - ER"; after consulting a web site, we pushed and held the Frig and Freeze buttons, then unplugged the unit.

After re-plugging it in a half-hour later, the frig seems to be working normally. We made an appointment for a service evaluation---but the best we could get is 5 days from now.

Should we unload the frig until then, (obviously a big deal on a holiday week-end); and is it likely to die again soon? How often should it be checked? What else should we do, or expect?

Thanks for your help. Bob

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello Bob I am so sorry that happened.

That error is a communication error between the display board and the main control board. Your main control board is located inside the panel on the rear up off the floor a bit. There are 2 boards there and the larger is the one I am describing.

There are several things that can cause this error from a drop in power for a second or a surge. A loose wire can cause it, or a corroded connection. These connections are at the dispenser board, the main board at the rear and under the door hinge cover.

I would watch it for 2 hours and if the error does not return, and if the refrigerator is cooling normally then do not worry, it will probably not happen again. If it does I would remove the food from the refrigerator if I could. Turn it off and unplug it then open the doors a little so any moisture that collects can evaporate out. I can tell you it is not common for a permenant problem to just go away like it has. Usually if its bad it does not go away at all.

If you found my answer satisfactory please login if you are not already logged in and please leave an ok or better rating. If you have any questions use the reply to expert link.

Thanks,
Barry

Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, Barry,

That was very helpful.....we'll keep an eye on it, and hold our breath.

Bob

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the opportunity Bob. I hope you and your family have a very nice holiday weekend.

Barry