Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

No light in freezer and theres frost on food in there

No light in freezer and there's frost on food in there
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Does it look like a snow storm hit in the freezer?

Open the freezer door and look around the frame for the door light switch, is it stuck shut?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It was open. I pushed it in. Now it's stuck shut.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
The switch is frozen inside. What you are going to need to do Linda is turn it off and let it melt out. One of the doors was left open a crack and that is exactly what it looks like, it looks like a snowstorm in the freezer.

The reason you need to let it melt out is because there is a duct in between the inside and outside wall that runs from the freezer up to the fresh food section and that will clog completely with frost causing the fresh food section to warm. The air flows from the freezer to cool the fresh food section. It takes about 12 hours to melt all the way out but when that amount of time is over you can turn it on and 12 hours later it will be cold like it was before that happened.

If you found my answer satisfactory please login if you are not already logged in and please leave an ok or better rating. If you have any questions use the reply to expert link.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is there a way to turn off ONLY the freezer?

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
No there is not, and if there was it would do no good because all of the air that gets cold flows from there.

Has the fresh food section become warm?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Well then it may be okay, it may not have been open long enough to clog the duct. Get a hair dryer and heat the door light switch. I think that will loosen it and get the light going. Please let me know.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It isn't the light I'm concerned about. It is the frost on the food. Ice cream is VERY soft.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
I understand, when you see this it has happened because outside air with moisture has got into the freezer, the first place it goes is into the freezer coils they clog, then the duct clogs going to the fresh food section. You can let it melt out which is best or you can remove the rear inside wall of the freezer and melt it out. That is the only 2 ways to do it. I don't often suggest removing the rear wall in the freezer because it is a difficult job and you cannot heat the duct.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Open drawer to fully open position.
2. Remove upper basket.
3. Remove screws one in each rail marked on side of
rail.
4. Lift front of drawer up and out to remove drawer.
Drawer Rails
1. Remove screws inside plastic rail retainer.
2. Remove rails from retainer by depressing plastic tabs
on back side of retainer.
3. Slide rails off of retainer.

Rack and Pinion Gear
1. Remove drawer assembly.
2. Extend drawer rails to full open position,remove rails
from retainer by depressing plastic tabs on back side
of retainer.
3. Slide rails, rack and pinion gear off of retainer.
4. Reverse procedure to reassemble.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If yours has an ice maker. Where the green arrows are pointing in the image below are screws for the ice maker that need to be taken out. Then sit the ice maker down.

Where the red arrow is pointing cut that zip tie. Then squeeze where the blue arrows are pointing and pull. That will get the ice maker out. Then you can push that connector through the wall.

Remove the screws from one rail and take out one rail then the wall should come out.

CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How do I turn it off? Will the refrigerator get warm? Will the ice maker work? Will the food in the freezer thaw?

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Unplug it from the wall outlet and open the doors. Everything will be off and yes everything needs to thaw.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do I need to open the refrigerator doors as well as the freezer drawer?

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
No just the freezer will be fine. the doors at the top in that area it's not warm enough to freeze anytging
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can the ice maker be left on? If so, will it still make ice?

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Sure it cannot run unless it's cold. Leave it on, Sorry I was meaning cold enough in that area to freeze anything at the top, you can leave those doors closed.

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think this will be my last question, Barry. Do we need to avoid opening the refrigerator doors while the freezer is thawing? Oops, 2 questions, is it OK to put some ice in the refrigerator to help keep things in there cool?

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Absolutely you can use ice in the top to keep things cold. That will be no problem at all Linda. The problem is all at the bottom and the cold air will get out the freezer door just fine. And ask all the questions you like, its fine.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your help. We'll get started soon.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, just in case I do not hear back from you. I hope you and your family have a nice weekend and return for followup if you need to do that. I plan to be here. Lastly please remember to leave a rating.

Thanks,
Barry
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.