Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

I have a Whirlpool ET14AK fridge/freezer. The freezer sounds

I have a Whirlpool ET14AK fridge/freezer. The freezer sounds like a barking chihuahua, it seems like the fan is rubbing ever few rotations. If I pull it out a fraction of an inch, it no longer rubs when hand turned. Could there be a missing/disintegrated washer?
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

That is the best description I have ever heard. That motor has brass bearings and once they get worn enough that is exactly what will happen. Too much free play in the motor shaft and it starts vibrating with a high pitch bark. The only way to repair it is to replace it. I have linked the motor below for you, however if you wanted to shop locally use part number 482731 and that will get the right motor for you.

If you found my answer satisfactory please login if you are not already logged in and please leave an ok or better rating. If you have any questions use the reply to expert link.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Barry, how complicated is it to replace the fan motor? Looking into the freezer it seems I have to remove the housing around the fan, and detach 3-4 wires. Is there soldering involved, or just plug/unplug?

Hi Scott, a few screws and plug and unplug. No soldering, you will be able to do it no problems at all.

You are welcome, I appreciate the opportunity, if you need to return for this question later please do, if not please come and see us the next time have an appliance problem.

You and your family have a nice weekend,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks again!