Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

How do you remove the motherboard on a GE gas range - model

How do you remove the motherboard on a GE gas range - model number JGBP86WEA2WW
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

I have a small file with pictures that will help, give me a few minutes to upload it for you.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

that's great thanks.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, thank you for the opportunity. Click the link below and that should be all you need. Be sure the breaker is turned off and when you change the wires change them from one board to the other one at a time so you do not get them mixed up.

CLICK HERE FOR FILE

If you found my answer satisfactory please login if you are not already logged in and please leave an ok or better rating. If you have any questions use the reply to expert link.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This page shows me how to open the control panel but I can seem to remove the ribbon cable.

The numbers on the face place (3,4 & 5) are not working and I was advised from a local repair shop that it was probably the motherboard but it actually looks OK. They also advised me that the face place for this model is no longer available (in Canada).

Donna

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
There are many different types but all are locks, let me see if I can find a picture of the board.

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just cleaned everything and put it all back. The numbers are now working but the start button is not?????

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Donna I believe you lift either where I have drawn the red arrow or the green arrows.

Thanks,
Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Turn it off and try re-inserting your ribbon wire.

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Tried to pry it off with a screwdriver on both and it looks like the pins are going to come off the board if I try any harder.

I have also unplugged it and plugged it back in.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Try lifting on the ends only straight up. There is definitely a lock on that connector. Look at your new one it may not be locked.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Have not yet purchased the new motherboard, just wanted to see how it was replaced.

But now that the numbers are working don't think that it is actually the motherboard. Just need to get the start button working now.

If I can't get a new face plate it looks like we will be purchasing a new stove.

Donna

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
I see, okay. I thought you were doing that now. Put it back together. Turn off the power. Get a hair dryer and heat a button fairly warm without over heating it and massage that button with your finger while doing that. Do that with each button, but begin with the start button first that may be the only one you need to do. Turn it on and see what happens.

I am sorry for the misunderstanding,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not a problem - thanks for the suggestions.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome, that usually works. I don't think it is the board I think there is a button stuck. That face plate is still available if that does not work. I have linked one store below.

www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Touchpad/WB57K10025/770830?RCAID=1000064

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hairdryer did not work. Thanks for the link.

Donna

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome, well it really could be either but it sure sounds like a stuck button. I do not have any way of seperating the 2 because there is no way to test it. That is the only way I know of finding out.

Thanks,
Barry
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.