Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

I have a GE Monogram refrigerator. The light is on so the

I have a GE Monogram refrigerator. The light is on so the power is working but it is not chilling. The express thaw light keeps coming on even though I keep turning it off.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service. Please take your time and make the checks below.

First look in the freezer (even though it may be warm) at the rear inside wall, can you find a frosty spot anywhere? Sometimes you have to feel the wall as its difficult to see.

Check to see that the freezer fan is blowing steady air out of the vent in the freezer, is it?

If the freezer fan is operating and you found no frost on the rear inside wall of the freezer go around behind the unit and remove the lower panel. Touch the compressor on the top. Is the compressor hot, warm or cold and is it vibrating? And have you heard a buzz or click from back there?

Is the fan back there working as well?

Thanks,
Barry

CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The freezer is completely dethawed. It is making a slight humming sound like it usually does and it stops when I open the door. I can't feel any fan working there.

Carrie, there is a door light switch for the freezer. Press that switch and wait a minute, did the fan in the freezer come on then?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, the fan came on

When the fan is off can you hear any other sounds from the rear of the refrigerator?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just a very very slight hum but nothing other than that. And it is very slight.

Okay thanks, XXXXX XXXXX a few minutes to type.

Barry
Around behind the refrigerator I have arrowed below the compressor and the main board. What you will find back there is either the compressor (arrowed green) is not operating and you can tell this by touching it, it will not be vibrating lightly. OR you will find the fan back there is not operating. If you find the fan not operating you can get a window fan and blow air on that barrel shape set of coils that fan cools and your refrigerator will start cooling.

In both cases you should replace the main control board (arrowed red) to repair the problem. To replace that unplug the refrigerator and remove the 8 x 10 panel on the back. Remove the connectors and replace the board. Put the connectors back they will only fit where they belong. Follow the instruction sheet that comes with the part. Plug the refrigerator in and turn it on. If it does not turn on right away, wait 40 minutes, it will be in the defrost cycle and will start. I have the part linked below for you with a year warranty. That price is high so if you would like to shop around the part number is XXXXX

www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Main-Control-Board/WR55X10942/1531075?RCAID=1000064

If you found my answer satisfactory please login if you are not already logged in and please leave an ok or better rating. If you have any questions use the reply to expert link.

Barry

CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Would that explain why the express thaw light keeps coming on too?

Yes that board controls everything the refrigerator does, fans, lights, dispenser all of it on seperate circuits. That should take care of it all Carrie.

Thanks,
Barry