Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

it is a complete question as drafted

Customer Question

it is a complete question as drafted
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

Hello from our service,

My name is Chas, I am so happy to help you today.
Before we get started, I would like to help us get on the same page so that our interaction will go smoothly.
I might give you an answer immediately, or ask you a question. Either way, we are likely to be in a question and answer format, so you will need to click reply to expert if:
a. You want to add detail.
b. Your question was not fully answered.
c. You want to ask further questions.

Since I am inviting you back to do any of these, do not use a 1 or 2 rating or this will likely NOT help you get a satisfactory answer. It will delay our task, and it tends to be depressing for the expert trying to help you, often right at the beginning of the exchange, before we have accomplished our task.

I know the rating system is somewhat complicated, but you do not have to do a negative rating in order not to pay or to get your deposit back.

In addition, a negative rating only serves to rate the expert doing his/her utmost to help you. The expert also will not get paid under these circumstances.

Negative ratings do not cover site problems, delays, or anything else on the site that might annoy you, as experts are only involved in trying to answer your questions.

Negative ratings do not cover posts that do not come through, or any other difficulties...experts face those just as you do. This includes frustrations that you might have had before meeting your expert.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction. But, it is up to your honor to click a smiley face and make sure that I am compensated for my time and effort. Please realize we are only compensated PER smiley per click and from bonuses, so extensive time with you would hopefully stimulate your consideration of this aspect of the system.

What exactly is your problem with your fridge?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

this unit is in my summer home. bought new in MAy 2009. samsung model rs2777acrs. When we turned it on for this first time Thursday night, the open door chime began and has been chiming every couple of minutes since. There were some erred temperature readings for the freezer section on the front digital display - checked with an actual thermometer inside the freezer for clarification. Initially I thought the light was out in the freezer section but then it began to light when I opened to he door. I removed both of the door light switches and they were clean, intact and seemed to operate normally. I turned the power off to the unit off for 20 minutes to let it reset, no luck. The freezer and refrigerator side are both cooling normally now

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
So you are not with the unit right now? So we can see what error codes may be logged in it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is here - chiming away i do not see any error codes that I recognize as such

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Okay when you first plug the unit into the wall, 88 88 should come up in the displays, are any segments missing on the 8's?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

"88 88" shows up then breifly a "3"....so fast I had to race to the front of the unit to see it before it went back to the normal display

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Do you know which one of the four 8's it was that had the 3 in it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the "3" was in the far right side of the display in the area of the last "8" of the "88 88" - "88 83"

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Is there a power freezer button and a power cool button on the control pad?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, both buttons are on the upper right (power cool) and upper left (power freeze)

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
press both the power freeze and power cool buttons together, you will need to hold them both for around 10 seconds until the displays blank out, the release and watch the displays... tell me what happens..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the display went black. then 1-2 minutes it came back on with temperature readings

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
what are the readings?
also did the beeping stop?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the freezer now reads 16F the refrgierator 36F. the beeping is still present

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
I am at a loss on this, I think you have a control board problem causing this, it thinks the door is open when it is not, however I cannot be sure with being there and testing from the diagram located on the back of the unit... I am going to opt out and see if another expert might know what the problem is, Sorry about that...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, thank you for your time

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
How long has the refrigerator be operating? Steady since thursday night?

Is the refrigerator actually cooling?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, it is cooling, but I just noticed the ice maker is not dumping the ice - but when I depress the balck button under it it cycles and the frozen cubes are dispensed and fresh water refills the tray. the temp is not concistent, last night it went to -4 and now it reads 18f

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Those are 2 errors, the top missing leg of the 8 is the ice maker.

The lower missing leg of the 8 is the coolzone sensor. That is probably why you are getting the erratic readings but I cannot prove it, as Chas said it could be the main board also.

Try this, go around behind the refrigerator. Unplug it, on the main control board are 2 red connections. Remove and replace those wire connectors several times to clean them off. Put it together and turn it on.

Did the errors go away?

Thanks,
Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
That board is in a box to the right side of the compressor facing the rear at the bottom.

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This box has the two water supply solenoids for the ice maker and thru the door water supply also

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Yes it is right beside of them all the way to the right.

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

but there are many red leads into this box and on the board, which do I take off and ensure good clean contacts?

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
On the board there are only 2 red connections. All the rest are white. Not the wires the connections on the board.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, that is done. thank you for the clarification

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome, what about the error, did it go away? Let me know when you can.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will reassemble things and plug it in and advise

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
I understand thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the display read "88 88" then the "3" in the location of the most right-hand side "8" or as you mentioned an "8" with the top and bottom left side hash line missing.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
I think the board is bad, it is uncommon for 2 different things to break at once. They are not releated, they are not on the same connector. What I would do is replace the board. If you get it from the location I have linked below. They will accept returns minus the shipping. I know its a guess but its the best I can do, there just is no way to test and know. The icemaker error is saying that the ice maker is not returning to level, the sensor error in the fresh food section is saying that the part is shorted. Its the only thing that makes sense.

www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Main-Control-Board/DA4100546A/2031147?RCAID=1000064

If you found my answer satisfactory please login if you are not already logged in and please leave an ok or better rating. If you have any questions use the reply to expert link.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the error codes refer to those two items. Do boards just fail? I do not mind the investment in the board, but I hate engaging a series remove and replace trail and error processes. Also, the board is back ordered and will take up to three weeks to get - which is unacceptable, but if course that is out of your are of concern - but within mine. If nothing changes with the board do I get to ask more questions in 14 days for example, or must I pay another fee for the same issue?

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
I follow up for 30 days after rating free right here. Bookmark/favorites this page so you can return when you wish. If you want to shop the factory part number to shop with is DA41-00546A. Yes those boards do fail, those are the worst I think out of all the circuit boards made. But yes you can return for 30 days right here and if you post during the hours of 8 to 8 eastern time I will see it and post a reply right away.

Thanks,
Barry
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Barry, is there a temperature sensor in the freezer? if it was reading incorrectly would it cause these symptoms?

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
It would cause an error but it would not show as it does on the display, each of those individual segments are tied to individual parts of the refrigerator. The 2 segments yours is showing is the ice maker not level and the sensor in the fresh food section.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, thanks, I ordered the board.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. I hope you and your family have a nice weekend.

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Barry, I just installed the new board and the open door chime still sounds - so i am back to square one. What now, David