Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

Small GE chest freezer,, power on ,, not cold.???? Lost fo

Small GE chest freezer,, power on ,, not cold.???? Lost food.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Can you hear any sounds from the freezer at all?

Also please recheck the model sticker, that appears to be the serial number.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Barry,, yes, I hear noise when plug back in . Sounds like normal running mode. model FCM5DMCWH,,, is that model. ????
Yes that looks like it, I am going to try and see. If it works I will be looking at the diagrams for a few minutes.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you ,I will wait. Patti
Thank you Patti,

That is the model number. There is only one part in your freezer that you can hear operating. That is the compressor. That is bad news, I was hoping it had a fan and you were hearing the fan operating and maybe the compressor was not, there is no fan in your model. So that means there is a coolant leak, if the compressor runs it should be cooling and if not then a leak is the only thing it can be.

That means you will have to call for a coolant leak repair and the following questions are the ones that you should ask before accepting an agreement for an appliance repair.

Do you have a license to recover freon?
(They must be licensed its federal law) That way they just cannot come out without you knowing and charge you then leave because they do not have one.

What is the minimum you charge for a sealed system leak repair?

Please and lastly ask them to bring the tools needed to repair a leak. They may find the part of your unit that is leaking and be able to repair it that day, that could save a second trip charge. What some will do is tell you they have to bring the tools showing up without them and then charge twice for coming to your home twice, you want to try and avoid that.

This will give you some idea if you want to repair it or not. I can tell you though from experience you can get a new freezer like this one cheaper than it can be repaired. The cost will be too high.

If you found my answer satisfactory please login if you are not already logged in and please leave an ok or better rating. If you have any questions use the reply to expert link.

Thanks,
Barry

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks very much , Barry. This was a great way to figure out NOT to repair. Thanks again.

You are very welcome Patti, I appreciated the opportunity. I know that is an expensive repair, and it would not be worth the cost. Even though it is bad news you did in fact save yourself some money, if a tech had came to your home it would have definitely cost more for him to tell you the same thing.

If you ever have a question please return, there is always someone here.

Thanks,
Barry