Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

I have a GE GSL25JFPABS Black and Stainless side-by-side refrigerator.

I have a GE GSL25JFPABS Black and Stainless side-by-side refrigerator. Age is about 4 years old. The freezer is working fine and I can hear the fan blowing but the refrigerator side is warmer than usual and liquids in this side (juice mainly) are not nearly as cold as they normally are with a setting of 2. I removed the bottom two veg. bins and felt cold air being "moved". Any suggestions as to what the problem may be or should I just opt to get a technician in here to try and fix the problem remembering that this IS Memorial Day weekend.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service. Please take your time and make the checks below.

First look in the freezer (even though it is cold) at the rear inside wall, can you find a frosty spot anywhere on the lower rear inside wall? Sometimes you have to feel the wall as its difficult to see.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll check now. Should take a few minutes.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
That will be fine, I will be here take your time.

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. In the back of the freezer, second shelf, right hand side, there is a frost buildup about 2-3 inches across. It is not heavy front but enough to let you know it is there. I did not go to the 3rd shelf to check further.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Thats fine, thank you. Does anyone there have an ohm meter?

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
To get your refrigerator cooling remove that lower wall inside the freezer and defrost the coils behind it. There are 4 or 5 screws that hold it on. You can use a hair dryer to melt the frost. That will last about 10 days and then it will be frosted again.

Without testing I can only give you the most common defrost part to break, there are 3. The most common is the sensor. i Put an image of the part arrowed below.

The one thermistor controls the defrost cycle. It sends information to the control board and that is part of the information the control board uses to start the defrost cycle and how long to defrost.

The thermistor is attached to the top of the coils behind the lower rear inside freezer wall. Its a splice in part. Get 2 wire nuts and splice it right there at the coils. Once you are done with the splice fill the wire nuts with NON conductive rtv sealant and that will take care of it. The thermistor is pictured and linked below and the price is $9.45.

www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Thermistor/WR55X10025/914093?RCAID=1000064

If you found my answer satisfactory please login if you are not already logged in and please leave an ok or better rating. If you have any questions use the reply to expert link.

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic

graphic

graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try the defrost approach and it does seem logical, with minimal electronics background, that what you described could very well be the problem. However, I think I will be better off getting a tech in here that knows what they are doing. Thanks for the help.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, thank you for the opportunity and have a very nice weekend when it gets here.

Barry
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.