Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

I unplugged it initially because I saw frost build up on the

I unplugged it initially because I saw frost build up on the back wall of the freezer. so hopes by unplugging it, it would melt away and start working again
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Thats definitely the main control board that has gone bad, they do not click unless they are broken. You will need to replace it or get it replaced. A lot of times I have found this to be caused by a bad solder joint on the board. If you have a soldering pen or gun you could try reheating all of the larger solder joints. Its always the larger ones. If that gets it cooling it will still need to be replaced. Maybe that will get it cooling until you can get another.

If you wanted to do the work yourself. One place with a year warranty that has it online is just below.

www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Main-Control-Board/WR55X10942/1531075?RCAID=1000064
To replace that unplug the refrigerator and remove the 8 x 10 panel on the back. Remove the connectors and replace the board. Put the connectors back they will only fit where they belong. Follow the instruction sheet that comes with the part. Plug the refrigerator in and turn it on. If it does not turn on right away, wait 40 minutes, it will be in the defrost cycle and will start.

That will take care of the problem, If you found my answer satisfactory please login if you are not already logged in and please leave an ok or better rating. If you have any questions use the reply to expert link.
Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Barry, in your opinion do you think its worthwhile for me to call in someone to replace the main control board ( how much would you estimate that would cost?) I'm not that handy so I doubt I cant do it myself, or should I just look for a replacement? The fridge is going on 8 years old?
Well if you ordered the board online you will be getting it for half the price. Use the link I provided unless you know someone locally who has a year warranty. So that will save, I know there are cheaper places online but that warranty is a good thing to have.

Then you will have the part onhand and all you will have to pay for is the service call. We charge $65 to come to your home and do that job, prices from shop to shop vary greatly so call around, ask them how much to come and install a new main control board.

8 years is just past the middle of years of use for that refrigerator. If the inside is still in good shape and the seals are good I would recommend repair. I think that would be a good decision.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
hmm... the seal on the bottom of the freezer is broken, for sometime now, though we have been using it without issue till now. do you know how much that would cost to replace?The temp display has only worked intermittently do you think that was caused by the main control board also?
When it causes a problem you will notice frost near that area, if you wanted to add it the part number is XXXXX They also have that part, its a black gasket and its $89.30 .
The main control board can cause the display problem. It supplies the power for the display to light up.

Thanks,
Barry