Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

GE Profile Side by Side Refrigerator Model TFX22ZRX purchased

GE Profile Side by Side Refrigerator Model TFX22ZRX purchased in 1995. Fan runs constantly, freezer is working (@ zero), but refrigerator is not cooling (60 degrees). Have made sure all vents are clear, have checked and put vasoline on all seals. I'm guessing this is not the compressor, but instead a switch or relay or something since the freezer is staying cold. Please advise.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service. Please take your time and make the checks below.

First look in the freezer (I saw that it is zero) at the rear inside wall, can you find a frosty spot anywhere? Sometimes you have to feel the wall as its difficult to see.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes there is frost on the back of the freezer (yet is suppose to be frost free).
Yes that is correct, and that is also the reason there is no air getting over to the fresh food section.

Open the fresh food section and remove the light cover at the top rear. Behind that you will see the part I have arrowed below. Turn that with a screwdriver clockwise until the refrigerator shuts off.

Wait 5 minutes and open the freezer. Listen at the very rear in there where you see the frost. Can you hear a hiss or a pop every so often?

Thanks,
Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Did that. Turned that little switch many times and it would click, but would not turn off the frig. I manually turned the frig off with the temp dial instead.
Yes it does click as it turns. Turn it slowly, the spot where it turns off the refrigerator is small. Try it again, you will get it and if your sure its not turning off the refrigerator let me know. I just want to be sure.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok, done. I'll wait now and let you know what I find.
Great, thank you. The area to listen to is down low at the rear wall where the frost is.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK, listened but couldn't identify a distinct hiss or pop.
Thank you. If you will defrost the coils behind that wall inside the freezer it will cool about 10 days. Or you can defrost the whole refrigerator for about 12 hours. This will give you time to get the heater. The defrost heaters are bad. Those are the parts I have arrowed in the diagram below, that is the area right behind the wall there inside the freezer where the frost is. That comes off, unplug the refrigerator and you can remove the screws from that lower section inside the freezer and that is where you will see the heaters. I have also linked it for you below as well. That will get it cooling for you.

www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Defrost-Heater-Assembly/WR51X442/1972?RCAID=1000064

If you found my answer satisfactory please login if you are not already logged in and please leave an ok or better rating. If you have any questions use the reply to expert link.

Thanks,
Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Have defrosted and am waiting to make sure it cools. I ordered the replacement heater. Thanks for the link.
You are welcome Susan. Make sure that you have the controls set to normal and not maximum. If you set the freezer control to max it will block the airflow from the freezer to the fresh food section. Give it a few hours and all should return to normal. You have a very nice evening if I don't hear from you and thank you for the opportunity to help. Be sure to return the next time you need us.

Barry