Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have Frigidaire dishwasher that has recently become loud.

I have Frigidaire dishwasher that has recently become loud. It is not loud during the entire cycle, maybe a few minutes loud then the normal sound, then loud again. It repeats this throughout the cycle until the end when it drains and dries. During the cycle, I've opened the door when it's loud and when it's not. There has been water dripping both times, so I can tell it's been spraying. I've thought it could be the circulation motor, but is there part of the motor that only runs part of the time? Or why wouldn't it be loud through the whole wash and rinse cycle? The model is pld2855rfc1.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

good morning, The issue is the drain pump not the circulation pump. the drain pump comes on in certain parts of the cycle (thus the intermittent noise) the impeller on these pump get loose on the motor shaft and eventually the pump will fail to drain the machine. Drain PumpNNN-NN-NNNN      Main Product Viewyou need to order and replace the pump. heres a link. just click that blue link to order it. this is located near the back right side and the machine has to come out from under the counter to replace. its not that difficult once the machine is out, thanks and best wishes, Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If it is the drain pump, wouldn't I hear the noise when the water is actually draining, through the tube under the sink and the water is going through the disposal? I've turned on the machine and let it run a couple of minutes to fill up, I've then opened the dishwasher and have seen the water at the bottom of the tank, then if I hit cancel, the water will drain out of the bottom. I can do all this without hearing the noise. The sound starts only after the tub has filled and the water starts shooting out of the sprayer arms.

On these machines the upper and ;lower spray arms run independently from each other. in other words the lower spray arm will run for a few minutes and the it will switch to the upper spray assembly and back and forth is how these run. check the spray arms and the tubbing running up to the top ones, you may have something in those thats causing the noise then.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I took off the bottom plate to try and see if I can tell where the sound is coming from the circulation pump. If I put a little pressure on it, the sound stops. Is there something inside the motor that just gets loose?

I said in my initial question...

During the cycle, I've opened the door when it's loud and when it's not. There has been water dripping both times, so I can tell it's been spraying...

but as I've listened more closely to the cycle, I think I was wrong. The dripping water I saw was probably from the spraying when the pump was going and loud. I didn't realize that it drained throughout the cycle, so I'm pretty sure it stops being loud when it's draining.
okay well the main circulation pump is most like the cause then . Circulation PumpNNN-NN-NNNNMain Product Viewyou still need to pull the machine to get to this pump also. this is a one piece pump so you will need to replace it unless you find something in it when you remove it. heres the link to that part.