Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

maytag-refrigerator/freezer (bottom) -just-stopped-working-model-mfd2561

maytag-refrigerator/freezer (bottom) -just-stopped-working-model-mfd2561 kes.
Fan mortor side still running.
Control panel just stuck on door open indicator, other bottons do not work.
Open back lowere panels, circut board on left appears ok.
Compressor extreamly hot to touch, fan not working when plugged.
removed relay from motor, seems to be ok
another part on the compressor but NOT sure if it comes off.
Any ideas.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So it sounds like you have a shorted interface display control board if the open door indicator light won't turn off and you can't adjust any settings at all. If you haven't tried it yet, try to unplug the refrigerator for 5 minutes to see if the electronics will reset. If that doesn't fix the issue then you'll need to order and replace the display control board to fix the problem. I don't want to mention that it's possible that the control board on the back is actually faulty and not the display board, but given the symptoms and the fact that you can't test between the two boards, you'll want to order and replace the display board. If you order the part from Repairclinic.com they will allow you to return the part if for some reason you end up not needing it unlike mostparts places.

CLICK HERE for display board

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks so far.
where is the display control board found? and how do you tak it off?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
The display board is the part in the top of the refrigerator that actually displays the temperature. As far as how to remove it, the entire white plastic control panel clips into the ceiling. You must use a flat head screwdriver and slide it into the seem and pry all the way around the control assembly with the light fixture and display board. Unclip the panel and it pulls down to expose the display board so you can replace it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One last question, on the compressor I ahve removed the relay or what ever it is, 2 terminal plugin black rectanular box, seeems ok. Checked resisance shows as an open circut.
I also removed the second black retangular box that plugs into the three prongs on teh compressor, it loooks ok but smells kind a burnt.

What are these and could these also be bad
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
That is your overload relay that powers your compressor. If that part is bad the compressor should be blazing hot. But if it smells burnt, I'd replace it and see what happens because the only other thing that can cause the issue is the compressor itself and there is no way to test the overload relay reliably to know if it's good or bad.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.