Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.

I recently replaced the glass top on our Electrolux glass top

Customer Question

I recently replaced the glass top on our Electrolux glass top touch controls range. (Model # XXXXX S/N NF90617385) When rewiring it back up I inadvertently switch the white wire with the ground wire and when I flipped the breaker it had numerous odd displays and was beeping. Flipped the breaker off and found and fixed the problem and when repowered up I am getting two error codes, one is displayed in the stove top controls area and it is E 15.
The second is in the oven area and it is F 15. I did a little internet investigating and found if both these error codes show up its likely the safety thermostat that is bad. My question is could my problem be much bigger given the incorrect initial hook up?
Specific internet words below:
(If the oven controller displays an F15 error code and the ESEC controller displays an E15 error code at the same time,
this is a strong indication that the safety thermostat (thermal cutoff) inside the front console opened)
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 10 months ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Do you have an ohm meter to test with?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yes I do
Great, give me just a few minutes to get a diagram for you.

Barry
Actually your switch is located at the rear. You will need to get behind it and remove the cover back there. The diagram shows it to be on the right side facing the front the best I can tell but it could be either side. Set your meter to any ohm setting, remove the wires from the part. You should get a reading exactly as if you were touching the probes together. If you do not get that reading then that part is bad. Also in the center of that part is a reset button. See if it will reset.

If you found my answer satisfactory please login if you are not already logged in and please leave an ok or better rating. If you have any questions use the reply to expert link.

Thanks,
Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I will check continuity of this switch when i get home this evening, thanks
You are very welcome, thank you for the opportunity. If you do not have a link you can access at home to this page you may want to save it to your favorites and email a link home where you can get it.

Have a great day,
Barry
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Checked switch and it is closed (ie. zero resistance)I'm concerned the miswiring may make the error code diagostics inaccurate?
I am sorry for the delay Gary, I am working on getting a file to upload for you. I am here and working on it.

Thanks,
Barry
There is another safety not shown on the parts diagrams. I uploaded a file for you, scroll to the last page and you will see it. Repeat the same test for this part as the one you did last night. Again there is a reset for it as well.

CLICK HERE FOR FILE

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Got it, unfortunately I am at work so it will have to be this evening again. Anything else to check if that switch is good? I'm not in any big rush but if i can do a few inspections a night I'll be out of your hair quicker. Thanks Gary
Well if that part is good and not tripped the rest is bad news and there just is not anything I can do to make it better Gary. I have it quoted below, you may have already seen it, that is right out of the book. I have my fingers crossed that it is tripped.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If the oven controller displays an F15 error code and the ESEC controller displays
an E15 error code at the same time, this is a strong indication that the safety thermostat (thermal cutoff) inside the front console opened. The
primary reason for a safety thermostat to open is a deficiency of the cooling fan. With a ohmmeter, verify if the thermostat tripped. Reset the
thermostat is needed and verify operation of the cooling fan. Note: the safety thermostat, when open, cuts AC power to the oven relay board
(connector J4, pin 1 and 3) and the ESEC relay board (connector J1, pin and 3). 2) An F15 error code on the oven controller may indicate the
oven controller is not receiving a synchronization signal from the relay board. One easy way to determine this is to power off the unit, power
it on and start a Timer for 1 minute before the F15 error code appears. If the timer counts-down normally then the synchronization signal is
okay. If the timer stays at 1:00 and does not countdown, then the synchronization signal is missing. If the synchronization signal is missing,
check first if the oven relay board is receiving 120VAC correctly (J4 pin 1 and 3). Then check the wiring between connector J2 on the relay
board and connector P16 on the oven controller. If AC power and wiring looks good and the problem is still there, replace the relay board. If
problem persists, replace the oven controller. 3) The F15 error code may be caused by an oven controller failure. If the safety thermostat and
synchronization signal have been verified and tested good, replace the oven controller.

Barry
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for crossing your fingers for me, I too am hoping....... independent of how this turns out I really like this organization and your guidance so far, it's worth every penny to me! gary
Thank you for the compliment, we really do our best to help our customers. Have a good day at work.

Barry
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi Barry, I'm unable to open the link to the repair guide this morning. I was able to open it yesterday and made copies of the last couple pages for reference at home last night. I was unable to find the safety switch last night so I wanted to go back to this guide this morning and was unable to open it due to incorrect password XXXXX userid. Who would I direct this issue too within Just Answer? Gary

That was my fault, I was cleaning up some of my files and did not realize I got yours. I am sorry about that. It is right beside of the fan.

CLICK HERE FOR FILE.

Thanks,

Barry

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I have relooked at the file and I think it is saying I must remove the stove top to access the safety switch? I assume then that this switch (and fan) must be located on the top of the oven under the burners?

Yes Gary, I was looking to see if we had a video that would show it but we do not. There is one here we have that shows the disassembly of the cooktop though. This will probably help you some if you have not taken it off before.

CLICK HERE

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I removed the top burns assembly and removed another piece of sheet metal below it to expose insulation. Partially removing and lifting the insulation i was able to expose the top surface of the oven. There are no cooling fans or safety switches on the entire oven top surface. I do have a scroll fan which is attached in the back on the top side which is duct-ed over the top of the oven and comes out in the front just above the oven door. I'm wondering if this particular model uses a different cooling fan which is the scroll fan I mentioned in the back. So that still leaves me trying to find that elusive safety switch!

Expert:  Michelle-Mod replied 10 months ago.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Michelle
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Did Barry say he was leaving this conservation? He did respond to me over the weekend, I sent the question above last night asking for clearification on location of a switch. Wow is it something I did?? I thought he was doing really well. As far as finding another expert, I guess I would like you to do that if there is one, thanks

Barry had to step out of the conversation because he had to step away yesterday from his computer. I will continue to look for another professional to assist you.

Thank you for your patience,
Michelle
Expert:  Bryan replied 10 months ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Hi this is Bryan. do you still need help ? I found the diagram with the thermal cut on it. its number 219 on the diagram. click this blue link to see the diagram. have you check that yet ? http://www.appliancepartspros.com/body-parts-for-electrolux-ew30es65gsd.html

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thanks but I believe 219 switch you referenced is the one I already checked Bryan. The switch I inspected is to the right and above the convection fan in the back of the stove, The safety switch in the service manual picture shows a cooling fan near it which is the cooling fan I have been looking for. I took a picture of the back of our stove to show you the scroll cooling fan in ours but am unable to attach here. If you would like I can forward to an email address or maybe there is a trick to getting it loaded on this site? Thanks Gary

Expert:  Bryan replied 10 months ago.
Frigidaire SwitchNNN-NN-NNNNfrom AppliancePartsPros.com thats the one you checked and it wasn't tripped ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Yes that's the one, it's located on the back panel near the top of the stove and to the right view aft looking forward.

Expert:  Bryan replied 10 months ago.
that's weird its the only one I see on the diagrams, do you have a part number off your paperwork for the other one ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Barry asked me to test this additional switch after I tested the one in the back with this note from above:

"There is another safety not shown on the parts diagrams. I uploaded a file for you, scroll to the last page and you will see it. Repeat the same test for this part as the one you did last night. Again there is a reset for it as well"

He also sent me a link to a service manual that showed this safety switch located near a "cooling" fan.

Expert:  Bryan replied 10 months ago.
okay when you tested the first switch did you just press the red button or did you use a meter and test for continuity with it isolated ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I removed the leads and tested for continuity. I did not push the button first.

Expert:  Bryan replied 10 months ago.
I for the life of me cant find another thermostat in this. I'm sorry . I'll opt out also, hopefully someone knows. thanks, Bryan
Expert:  Tom Goellner replied 10 months ago.
You will need to check with a voltmeter for 120 volts AC at the relay board on the J4 connector from pin 1 to pin 3 . If you get this voltage the problem is not a safety cut-out. If you get that voltage , then check at the main electronic control board at the J1 connector for 120 volts at pin 1 and pin 3
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thanks Tom, I can do that but need some sort of diagram to know where the relay board is and which is the J1 and J4 connectors. I'm guessing this board is hanging off the back wall of the stove.

If you go to www.repairclinic.com you can see different images of these boards ( and enlarge them ) Relay board ( power board ) is part number(NNN) NNN-NNNNand the control board is(NNN) NNN-NNNN The connectors are marked on the board - J1, J2, etc.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Perfect, I will check for voltage tonight!

I have a feeling you damaged one ( or both ) of these boards. The boards are grounded and you accidentally connected the white wire ( neutral ) to ground . When powered up there is current in that wire - so there was current to ground and electronic components ( which are low DC voltage components ) REALLY don't tolerate 120 volts AC being fed to them. But do the check and we'll go from there.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Okay, I located the two boards, got power over to the range but when trying to identify the pin numbers I was stumped! So specifically The Relay board or main control board, I found the J4 connector but it has 16 pins without any indications of how they are numbered. The other board the Main electronic control board or oven control board identified all its connectors with P's (eg. P1,P2,P3.......) I looked at all the connectors on that board and was unable to find a J1 connector. I referenced the names of the boards above to make sure I am looking at the right board as the names in your instructions aren't exactly the names in the "repair Clinic" Web site you directed me too. Oh, good morning by the way and thanks for your help!

I am unable to pull up a schematic for your stove, which would make it simple for me to tell you which color the wires are to these connectors . There SHOULD be a wiring diagram and a schematic packed, taped somewhere on the stove. Usually in an envelope and usually where the storage drawer is - You may have to remove the drawer to find it. Try to find that and it will tell you what color goes to pin 1 , etc They won't mark every pin just pin 1 and usually pin 16 and it is normally left to right as you read any lettering on the board to tell which way is up if that is any help.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I do remember a schematic in our file on this stove. I will look at that. Did the different names of the boards concern you? I was wondering on the oven control board especially in that the connectors were all labeled with P's not J's?

Re reading the literature it DOES state the oven controller board is labled P , not J

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I do remember looking at the P1 connector and noting it had only 2 wires going to it, heavier wire, looked like the main AC 120volt power supply to the board, sound right to you?

Sounds right - but check the schematic if you can find it. These wires should go to the relay board.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

After a little internet work I found the wire ribbon coming off the connector will have an odd color wire which is the pin 1 wire. Bad news for me, no power from pin 1 to pin 3. I also checked the other connector even though the instructions said if no power on the oven control don't bother, well no power there either. Is this replacement time?

Are you saying you have no power ( 120 volts ) at the J4 connector pin 1 to pin 3 ? Can you tell where the power comes from or through to get power to these pins from the schematic ? We might be back to the safety thermostats again.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

That's right, no power. The J4 connector has 16 pins, the wire ribbon coming off this connector goes to the touch control board. The diagram I have does not show any of the signal circuits, looks like just power circuits for the burners and range.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I did find a second safety switch, this one is in front up by the burners. It too was good. I'm begining to fear the worst, any recommendations on which board(s) to replace first?

Replace the relay board - part number(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

That board was not the problem. I found out that putting power to the ground causes the boards on the back of the range to fail. I replaced those and the problem is no more!